Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Chronology of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs

  • boatnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
      My plan set for Nanuk III states that it is No. 360 and it is dated December, 1934.
      John S.

      In a message dated 8/22/2009 1:59:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time, calfee20@... writes:

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@ ...> wrote:

      > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
      > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
      > words:
      >
      > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
      > third, etc.?
      >
      > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links. com web site in no
      > particular order. Are there others?
      >
      > Rescue Minor
      > Everhope
      > Heron
      > Shoals Runner
      > Nibble
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatwork s.com

      I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

      Hope this helps ............ ......Tom C

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
        Wm. Atkin was frustratingly vague about whether Mischief was the first
        tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright skiff, or just the first V-bottom
        Seabright skiff. <sigh> The boat names he uses in the article in Vol. 17
        don't necessarily match the designs published in MoToR BoatinG using those
        names. The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
        double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

        On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:59:33 -0700, Tom C wrote:

        > I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal
        > Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He
        > stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and
        > Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch
        > Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say
        > what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

        No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
        himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
        the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
        better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
          Oops! Slip of the finger... Galilee is design #230.

          On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:45:45 -0700, I wrote:

          > The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
          > double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

          Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. <Paul Valery>