GAS ENGINE/TRANS ADVICE

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2009
      I am looking for some advice on the selection of a 40-50 hp gas inboard
      engine/trans combo. Why gas? It had gas originally and I am interested in quiet
      and smooth over longevity and performance. I had thoughts of lurking around some
      boatyards here and seeing what I could find to rebuild. Most of the time a old
      boat is cheaper than a motor. Right now I have a prop shaft and that's it. I know this is not strictly an Atkins question but this group seems to have their heads on straight.
      Thanks
    • boatnews@aol.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
          I recall some 20 years ago reading that Westerbeke had introduced a new gas engine based on a Japanese block that was super well balanced and vibration compensated. Sounds like that may be the same one or a descendant along those lines.

          Mike Dolph

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2009
            A friend of mine has one of the current Westerbeke gas engines in a
            stretched 19' Bartender he built. It's based on a Mazda industrial engine,
            and seems like a goodun.

            http://preview.tinyurl.com/pezlyk

            On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:50:43 -0700, Mike D wrote:

            > I recall some 20 years ago reading that Westerbeke had introduced a new
            > gas engine based on a Japanese block that was super well balanced and
            > vibration compensated. Sounds like that may be the same one or a
            > descendant along those lines.

            No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
            society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
            shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
            stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. <P.J. O'Rourke>