Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Thistle and raised deck

  • Patrick Blanchard
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2009
      Well put Ion, thanks.

      While reading about an informal survey of circumnavigators, a survey of boat
      size in the bay of remote islands that are on more than 1
      circumnavigation...average 32.5 feet (not all double enders though). What
      this means to me is 32.5 feet works for circumnavigation. Probably the sweet
      spot for practicality, safety and budget. Add to that the double ender bonus
      w/ Eric and Thistle and Dragon. I don't think anyone can formulate it, it's
      goes beyond the science of 'what size boat is right'- it's got to be a
      talley of sucess. It's also the same size of the Eric., which of course
      makes me giddy.

      On 8/10/09, lon wells <lononriver@...> wrote:

      > --- On Sun, 8/9/09, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...<jkohnen%40boat-links.com>>
      > wrote:
      > "We talked about the old hippy who'd owned her, and lived aboard her for
      > many, many years. The new owner said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to
      > solve a housing problem with a sailboat." Does it make sense to build a
      > seagoing sailboat, one that could easily sail 'round the World, to solve a
      > housing problem?"
      >
      > Yes it does. So much of our lives are about dreams and emotion. While we
      > might drudge away our lives at some job for a living having that live board
      > sail boat gives us the dream of freedom. Very few sailboats, sail around the
      > world or make large passages. Most live a life at the dock going on day
      > sails, weekend getaways and yearly vacations. The few that leave on a world
      > passage usually go broke somewhere and don't make it. We all need to live
      > somewhere so if we live where we can have the dream of freedom it adds to
      > our value of life.
      > Lon
      > "That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a
      > keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship
      > needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl
      > really is... is freedom" - Capt. Jack Sparrow

    • oljaij
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2014
        Please excuse me for reply is some 5 years late . I have a Thistle and headroom is 197cm (6.4)