Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Eric (the elder?)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2004
      One of our local messabouters built a Jordan baby tender a while back, it
      turned out real nice:

      Unfortunately, you've got to join the group to see the pictures, but you can
      quit right afterwards, if you don't find our doings interesting...

      My Footloose suits me very well at this stage of my life. She's stable,
      comfortable, shallow draft, easy to rig and launch, good looking and good
      sailing (except in light airs, and of course she doesn't keep up with the
      high-strung modern boats to windward). Being a fat flat-bottomed skiff, she
      can be uncomfortable in a chop, especially motorboat wakes when the breeze
      is light. A week ago on the Columbia near Vancouver I got caught in some
      _vicious_ motorboat wakes that actually gave me a scare! There are some real
      pigs of motorboats out there, aren't there? Too bad everybody doesn't drive
      an Atkin boat! <g> The tugs and their tows and the ships weren't bad, it was
      the motorboats that made the steep, short wakes. :o( But in general the
      Footloose is pretty seaworthy for a skiff. Warren Jordan designed the boat
      for the lakes and bays at the Oregon coast, where it's usually windy, and it
      takes a fair amount of breeze before she feels overpressed.

      Handy Andy, or if you think you've got the space Vintage, are the tenders
      that would look best with your Eric. You could build the canvas-covered
      Handy Andy lapstrake like Vintage, or do Vintage canvas-covered, if you felt
      like it, using the building instructions for one for the other...

      On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:25:21 -0000, Scott wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > Yes, I'm building the Jordan "Baby Tender" (as in #1 in lapstrake, as
      > opposed to #2). At the slow rate of progress, half of me wishes I
      > were building a real-life boat, but it's a good amount of practice as
      > well. At present I've got three strakes fastened, and the deadline
      > is August 1! (shh... it's a surprise)
      >
      > I assume you've got "footlose"? What do you think of her?
      >
      > I could go anywhere in Ronin, but I could never get ashore until I
      > have a tender!!!

      One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by
      Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>
    • roninpnw
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
        John,

        Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
        shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
        if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
        to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
        be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
        wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
        nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
        trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
        One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
        done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
        fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
        canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
        blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
          I don't think you'd have to move Handy Andy's mast to fit a spritsail. Where
          would you move it to anyway? It's already right up in the eyes of the boat.
          What you might have to do is reduce the rake of the mast, maybe even raking
          it forward a tad. You want the center of effort of the spritsail to be close
          to where the CE of the jib-headed sail was. Figuring that out isn't
          difficult, the CE of the jib-headed sail is shown on the Handy Andy plans,
          and Jim Michalak tells how to figure the CE of the spritsail (and much else
          of use to balancing the rig of a small, shallow boat) in a recent
          newsletter:

          http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

          The old canoe nuts foam at the mouth when they hear of somebody
          fiberglassing an old wood and canvas canoe (and I don't blame them!), but it
          might not be a bad idea for a new Handy Andy. You wouldn't be desecrating
          the work of a classic craftsman, after all. The thin, soft cedar planks
          under the 'glass probably wouldn't move enough to cause any harm, which is
          the usual problem with fiberglassing planked boats. BTW, when done properly,
          a canvas-covered boat or canoe doesn't show any canvas texture, the weave is
          supposed to be all full of filler. The finish should be smooth as a baby's
          bottom. <g>

          The planking of a canvas-covered boat doesn't need to fit tightly, and you
          don't need to taper and shape the planks, making the construction a bit
          easier for a tyro. Nowadays, somebody could strip-plank Handy Andy, glass
          her inside and out, and get away with no (or few) frames like a stripper
          canoe. Or cold-mold her. But don't let Mrs. Atkin know I'm talking about
          things like that. She hates it when people depart from the plans! <g> If I
          was going to build Handy Andy I'd do it lapstrake, with plywood planks glued
          at the laps, using the Vintage plans for a guide. For landing on rocky
          beaches I'd put hardwood strips along the edges of the lower laps. The
          planks can also be individually fiberglassed before installation.

          On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:55:22 -0000, Scott wrote:
          > Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
          > shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
          > if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
          > to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
          > be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
          > wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
          > nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
          > trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
          > One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
          > done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
          > fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
          > canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
          > blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

          I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it.
          <Abraham Lincoln>
        • roninpnw
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2004
            I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
            for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
            the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
            over here!

            http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
            ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132

            Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

            -Scott

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
              The baby tender is beautiful Scott! If you can stuff like that you won't
              have any trouble building a Handy Andy or Vintage. <g>

              On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:22:20 -0000, Scott wrote:
              > I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
              > for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
              > the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
              > over here!
              >
              > http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
              > ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132
              >
              > Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

              Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
              bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>