Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Thistle and raised deck

  • Patrick Blanchard
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2009
      Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double ender by John Leathers. Only 1 copy on
      amazon and the price is painful. Let me know if you want to borrow mine.
      Also Alone Through the Roaring Fourties by Vito Dumas (on his 32' ketch).
      Don't forget Wm. Atkins book too. I have not read Robert Knox-Johnson except
      for his perspectives on heaving to, but there is video footage of his Eric
      showing great performance on his round the globe win. He did broach, BTW and
      only while running bare poles. I don't think that would have been a problem
      had he hove to, but he was of course, in a race to win.
      On 8/6/09, air_2_fly <air_2_fly@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > probably
      > > as small as realistically possible so as to not make it too cramped for
      > long
      > > term cruising while maintaining all that Archer conveyed to the field of
      > > naval architechture.
      > >
      > > Probably the only practical difference between us is you stand 1/2 foot
      > > taller than I. Philosophically, our view towards the sea and how to live
      > on
      > > it is lock-step. Even your first name is my middle! If that is indeed
      > > correct, you need not look any farther than Eric/Thistle/Dragon. Same
      > boats
      > > with minor changes and all safe changes. I was lucky to find an Eric but
      > > would be very content with any of the three. In fact I will be rigging my
      > > Eric with the Dragon's gaff (thank you Pat Atkins for helping sort this
      > out
      > > for me).
      > >
      > > You have Fram, a Thistle? You are building from plans?
      > >
      > > If indeed building, I am planning a full loft of the Eric because I just
      > > like to do that sort of thing. Also if my Eric is destroyed, I will be
      > ready
      > > for another build. You may have a copy of the loft (anyone for that
      > matter)
      > > as long as Mrs. Atkins gives the OK. The original will be on mylar rolls,
      > > scanned and printable on paper, just as I did w/ the Lynaes dinghy. It
      > would
      > > not be ready until this time next year.
      > >
      > > Regards and best of luck with your endeavours,
      > > Patrick
      > >

      > > On 8/6/09, air_2_fly <air_2_fly@...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi Patrick,
      > > >
      > > > Fram is larger and may have enough room inside. I stand six feet and
      > would
      > > > like to build something that could become a live aboard in the future.
      > I've
      > > > had smaller living space in the past, but would like to get headroom.
      > Flush
      > > > deck, too, is the way to go for me I think. I've seen Colin Archer
      > types
      > > > with flush decks on the internet that look roomy inside. These designs
      > are
      > > > very nice.
      > > >
      > > > Another website had a thread going that double ended boats with sharper
      > > > ends ride like a hobby horse in certain conditions. Maybe that was
      > someone
      > > > with experience with a much different design. Would this be true of the
      > > > Atkin's double ended designs? I've read that these boats (Colin Archer
      > type)
      > > > are the ultimate if you want to go to sea and manage well. I have heard
      > good
      > > > things about them. I'm not that into speed, it's just how I get there
      > that
      > > > matters. I didn't want to get too big of a design. My goal is to get
      > > > something for one person to build, sail, and maintain (hopefully not

    • air_2_fly
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2009
        I found "Colin Archer and the Seaworthy Double Ender" for a much cheaper price than that one on Amazon. It's being shipped to me now. After I read the description of the contents, I decided that this book needs to be on my bookshelf as reference material. Thanks for your invitation to read your book, though! From what I have seen so far, this boat is a ground breaking design.

        I found a link to the naval museum that has the Vito Dumas boat:
        http://www.welcomeargentina.com/paseos/el_mar_en_miniatura/index_i.html

        There is also video on www.youtube.com about Dumas and Knox-Johnson.

        This website was a good one, too:
        http://home.online.no/~jeppejul/

        He has a link for his english pages.

        After seeing the pictures of this Colin Archer for sale:
        http://www.rightboat.com/Colin-Archer-Double-Ender/boat-12027989/

        I think I could have a skylight or two in the center of a flush deck of a smaller boat. This link will not last if the boat sells, so I made copies of the pictures. Very nice boat. I'm getting some good ideas.

        These double ended boats are really something.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9, 2009
          Be careful when you hear a boat being called a "Colin Archer," that one
          for sale wasn't designed or built by Colin Archer, who died in 1921. The
          boat in the ad was built in 1991 and designed by somw guy named Janssen!
          <sigh> Unfortunately, many double-ended boats built long after Colin
          Archer's demise get described as "Colin Archers." Some of them are
          Scandinavian fishing and work boats designed after Archer's death, but
          incorporating some of his ideas for reforming and improving the types,
          some are pleasure boats that may just _look_ kinda like a Colin Archer
          double-ender, a few might be newer boats built to the old designs. Not
          all double-enders are the same...

          William and John Atkin acknowledge the basis for their seagoing
          double-enders, but intelligently "Atkinized" their boats for better
          performance. Although the Atkin double-enders aren't Colin Archer designs
          (even Eric was tweaked a bit), they retain most of the seaworthiness of
          the type and are more suitable for pleasure sailing than their fishing and
          rescue boat ancestors.

          Using hatches and/or skylights to provide a few places where you can stand
          up tall and stretch is a much better idea than raising the whole deck of a
          seagoing boat. One of the great writing yacht designers (Francis
          Herreshoff?) wrote that all the things worth doing in the cabin of a
          sailboat, you do either sitting or lying down. I can think of one thing he
          missed -- pulling up your pants -- but that can be done under a hatch or
          skylight. <g>

          A few weeks ago I was wandering around the Charleston (Oregon) shipyard
          when I was shocked to see that a beautiful old sailboat was being cut up.
          I'd long admired the boat, but had hated to see it dying from neglect at
          the dock (it hadn't been hauled in 20 years!). It had been sold a while
          back, and I had hopes the new owner would give the girl a new life. But
          there he was sawing her up! He said that while the boat was sound below
          the waterline, fresh water had done so much damage to the topsides he
          couldn't afford to fix her, and his conscience wouldn't let him pass her
          on to another starry eyed dreamer. <sigh> We talked about the old hippy
          who'd owned her, and lived aboard her for many, many years. The new owner
          said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to solve a housing problem with a
          sailboat." Does it make sense to build a seagoing sailboat, one that could
          easily sail 'round the World, to solve a housing problem? Motorboats make
          better live-aboards anyway, and used ones can be found for good prices.

          On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:05:33 -0700, air_2_fly wrote:

          > After seeing the pictures of this Colin Archer for sale:
          > http://www.rightboat.com/Colin-Archer-Double-Ender/boat-12027989/
          >
          > I think I could have a skylight or two in the center of a flush deck of
          > a smaller boat. This link will not last if the boat sells, so I made
          > copies of the pictures. Very nice boat. I'm getting some good ideas.

          Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you get
          a lot of scum on the top. <Edward Abbey>
        • air_2_fly
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 9, 2009
            Thanks for the info. I noticed differences in the various Archer type designs. I'll be careful about what gets called what, too. The higher priced boats give me ideas about what to do with interiors and non-structural items. I would like to be a build per plans person. The thousands of hours and tuning that go into something should be respected. I have plans to a very neat prewar cabin cruiser that I would build if I wanted to deal with a motor. I've also lived without refrigerators and water heaters (rigged up a solar water heater with coiled hose and it worked great) before in a small space. It just would be nice to have some headroom, at least, between the beams. I can live with that. I have more information on the way about Thistle and Fram. Fram may be too big, but I'll just have to see what both look like. I can't wait for my Colin Archer book to get here. There are supposed to be drawings in this book, but from what I read, Colin Archer didn't make a set of plans as a boatyard would see them. I'm not going to be a designer so I'll have to just choose the best design I can find. Designers and others have talked at length about the Colin Archer design and how a change somewhere can affect his idea. So far, I feel pretty comfortable with the Atkin version. I'm still going to be reading alot and I thank any that can share their experience. This boat is very interesting and I just like the looks of it and the safe Atkin version is compelling. Also, this boat will travel and I won't be in a hurry. I'm particular about what I travel in.

> [...]
            > said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to solve a housing problem with a
            > sailboat." Does it make sense to build a seagoing sailboat, one that could
            > easily sail 'round the World, to solve a housing problem? Motorboats make
            > better live-aboards anyway, and used ones can be found for good prices.
            >
            > On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:05:33 -0700, air_2_fly wrote:

            > > After seeing the pictures of this Colin Archer for sale:
            > > http://www.rightboat.com/Colin-Archer-Double-Ender/boat-12027989/
            > >
            > > I think I could have a skylight or two in the center of a flush deck of
            > > a smaller boat. This link will not last if the boat sells, so I made
            > > copies of the pictures. Very nice boat. I'm getting some good ideas.

            > John <jkohnen@...>
            > Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you get
            > a lot of scum on the top. <Edward Abbey>

          • lon wells
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2009
              --- On Sun, 8/9/09, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
              "We talked about the old hippy   who'd owned her, and lived aboard her for many, many years. The new owner  said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to solve a  housing problem with a sailboat." Does it make sense to build a seagoing sailboat, one that could   easily sail 'round the World, to solve a housing problem?"

              Yes it does. So much of our lives are about dreams and emotion. While we might drudge away our lives at some job for a living having that live board sail boat gives us the dream of freedom. Very few sailboats, sail around the world or make large passages. Most live a life at the dock going on day sails, weekend getaways and yearly vacations. The few that leave on a world passage usually go broke somewhere and don't make it. We all need to live somewhere so if we live where we can have the dream of freedom it adds to our value of life.
              Lon
              "That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a
              keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship
              needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl
              really is... is freedom" - Capt. Jack Sparrow
            • Patrick Blanchard
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2009
                Well put Ion, thanks.

                While reading about an informal survey of circumnavigators, a survey of boat
                size in the bay of remote islands that are on more than 1
                circumnavigation...average 32.5 feet (not all double enders though). What
                this means to me is 32.5 feet works for circumnavigation. Probably the sweet
                spot for practicality, safety and budget. Add to that the double ender bonus
                w/ Eric and Thistle and Dragon. I don't think anyone can formulate it, it's
                goes beyond the science of 'what size boat is right'- it's got to be a
                talley of sucess. It's also the same size of the Eric., which of course
                makes me giddy.

                On 8/10/09, lon wells <lononriver@...> wrote:

                > --- On Sun, 8/9/09, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...<jkohnen%40boat-links.com>>
                > wrote:
                > "We talked about the old hippy who'd owned her, and lived aboard her for
                > many, many years. The new owner said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to
                > solve a housing problem with a sailboat." Does it make sense to build a
                > seagoing sailboat, one that could easily sail 'round the World, to solve a
                > housing problem?"
                >
                > Yes it does. So much of our lives are about dreams and emotion. While we
                > might drudge away our lives at some job for a living having that live board
                > sail boat gives us the dream of freedom. Very few sailboats, sail around the
                > world or make large passages. Most live a life at the dock going on day
                > sails, weekend getaways and yearly vacations. The few that leave on a world
                > passage usually go broke somewhere and don't make it. We all need to live
                > somewhere so if we live where we can have the dream of freedom it adds to
                > our value of life.
                > Lon
                > "That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a
                > keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship
                > needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl
                > really is... is freedom" - Capt. Jack Sparrow

              • oljaij
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2014
                  Please excuse me for reply is some 5 years late . I have a Thistle and headroom is 197cm (6.4)