Re: [AtkinBoats] Plans- tunnel hulls

  • boatnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2009
      Correction. The fourth was an unnamed fishing tender for the ketch
      Grampus. John

      In a message dated 7/1/2009 8:16:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      alan@... writes:

      Hi John,

      The plans for Nanuk III would probably have appeared first in a copy of
      "MoToR BoaTinG" magazine, but I haven't been able to find any indexes on
      the
      Net, so that's conjecture.

      All or most of the designs published in the magazine were then published
      again in a series of hard cover books called the Ideal Series. If you look
      at _http://www.boat-http://wwwhttp://www.bhttp_
      (http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html) you will find an index to
      most of those publications.

      Nanuk III is listed as being published in Volume 17, called "Building Plans
      for 43 Small Boats", in 1936. It is reasonable to suppose that the plans
      were originally published in the year or two before that. (Incidentally, it
      was repeated in Volume 46 in 1958).

      Also, Atkin mentions in his book "Of Yachts and Men", a boat called
      "Nanuk-Mikininni""Nanuk-Mikininni"<WBR>. It was designed for a Dr L.M.
      1935, for exploration work in Alaska. It was a Tunnel Stern of the same
      length and draft as Nanuk III so it seems a fair bet that it was the source
      of the design. Incidentally, Atkin also alludes to earlier Tunnel Stern
      designs such as "Jeannie", "Heron" and "Islamorada"designs such as "Jean
      names "Mischief" as the first of the line. "Mischief" was 36' long, 10'
      beam and drew 12 inches; unfortunately, so far as I am aware, the plans
      have
      not survived.

      Alan

      From: _AtkinBoats@From: _AtkinBoats@<WB_AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_