America Junior

  • Stan Nowakowski
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      Just thought I'd let you know that I've finally made some (visible) progress on the construction of my America Junior schooner. I'm in the process of bolting frames to my strongback (see photos).

      Cheers,

      Stan
    • Mario Korf
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2009
        I'm a new member on this list, I thought I would introduce myself.

        I'm looking to build an economical low-powered outboard skiff, something like a panga, but lighter in weight and designed for less power and lower speeds. It would be primarily used for coastal fishing, diving, and camp-cruising in protected waters. I live in the SF Bay area, so Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and possibly a trip to the channel islands if it's very calm. One day maybe I'd leave it at my friend's place in Baja for trips to Cerralvo (8+ miles).

        My garage is 20.5' long, and I'd like to build the biggest boat that'll fit. I can remove the 5hp Honda engine easily, and so I don't need room for that, just the boat and the tongue of the trailer has to fit in there.

        The Atkin designs that interest me most are Elon Jessup, Punch, Russel R, Seven Days and XLNC. As you can see, I'm leaning towards a flat-bottomed boat.

        Elon Jessup and Punch look about right, but I'd like to get a little more boat in my garage.
        Russel R is what I might build if I had a longer garage (and a bigger engine).
        Seven Days looks pretty close to what I want, but would need to be modified for an outboard.
        XLNC also would need to be modified for an outboard, and would it fit on a trailer in the garage with the engine removed?

        I have a little boat building experience and would adopt a plywood-fiberglass construction to this project. I'm inclined to order the plans and take the dimensions of the boat, build it in stitch-and-glue and glass the outside. I already have a lot of the materials (glass, epxoy, several sheets of meranti ply), and finishing a penguin dinghy has sort of turned me off of traditional boat building.

        I've also looked at several other desingers, but I keep coming back to the Atkins' boats.

        Thoughts?

        Mario Korf
        Redwood City, CA

      • Bill Oakes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2009
          July 17, 2009

          For Mario Korf:

          If you have decided on an outboard, I would suggest that you eliminate the XLNC on your list of Atkin boats as a possibility. I have just finished the XLNC and built it just as designed and with an old Palmer inboard as spec'd by Atkin. The boat performs beautifully. But I would strongly suggest not putting an outboard on this design (weight, trim, etc). You can see how my XLNC looks on the photo site.

          Bill Oakes

        • Mario Korf
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2009
            Bill,

            Yes, I've seen your boat on this site, very nice. What kind of conditions do you feel the XLNC is safe in? How is the stability for fishing and standing?

            I already have a long-shaft motor (5 hp Honda) and a tiller extension. The engine weighs only 60 lbs, I can't imagine it would be too much weight on the transom. I could easily put that much weight in the bow (anchor, chain, gas) to trim it out. Or is there some other concern?

            -Mario

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2009
              Mario:

              The weight of the Palmer is about 160 to 200 lb. We have had the boat out about 8 times so far, the first test in a small pond, the second in the Connecticut River and the other times, in the salt water of Casco
              Bay (Middle Bay) on the Maine Coast. Not in any rough sea yet and maybe never. Was stable, smooth riding, and good turning.

              The boat is narrow beamed for it's length I think, but still both my son-in-law and I stood on the gunwale and couldn't put it under. I guess it would be stable enough to be used alot for fishing although I don't think it was intended mostly for that. I think for just a utility skiff. And then again an inboard engine box midships cuts down on the available space for moving about that much.

              You've got some good choices for your next boat it seems.

              Bill