Re: Another Atkin tunnel stern

  • John Cooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
      Thanks for your input on this question. Every bit of information helps, and I hear the message about light weight loud and clear.

      My plan is to build with glued-lap plywood planking, 10 mm thickness below the waterline and 8 mm above, with fibreglass coating only on the box deadwood and maybe up onto the garboard to stiffen things. I think this would be as light as any other method and minimizes the use of glass, which I don't find much fun to work with.

      Deck arrangement would be according to the plans but with steering console at the rear of the engine box. With the engine, battery and maybe the fuel tank all located in the box keel the centre of gravity would be quite low and right amidships. Compare this with an outboard installation that has the weight of the powerhead two feet above the waterline and it should make for a very stable boat.

      Any comments welcome.

      John