RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Antiquity

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2009
      Jon - I have uploaded some photos on to the Group site (link below), I also
      have a web site with more at http://riverbelle.boman.biz

      Alan

      Visit
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZjUwNjQ5BF9TAzk3MzU5N
      zE0BGdycElkAzExNzc5NzA3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTg4NDA5MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0a
      W1lAzEyNDc1MzU0ODE-> Your Group

    • Sgt Sak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2009
        Alan,
        Have you posted pictures? I would be very interested to see how you put it together. I put the hull lines into a CAD program and pulled off the surface sections from there. I am planing on building a model of her first before I start on the real thing. I intend to raise the forecastle a bit and use that area for a sleeping area.

        My only other issue is what engine to use, I can't find a weight on the Kermath engine that was specified, I could go with a diesel but will more than likely use a ford 6cyl 4.9 because they are cheap and indestructible(almost). My worry is having enough weight to balance out the boat for proper performance of the tunnel.
        Regards
        Phil

        > I'm building a "River Belle" and have chosen to go the plywood/epoxy route
        > instead of diagonal planking on frames.
      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2009
          Phil,

          Yes, I have put some pictures in the Photos area at the Group's site.
          Alternatively, you can look at my web site at http://riverbelle.boman.biz

          I built several 1/10 scale models from 3mm MDF and 0.6mm modeller's marine
          ply and it was a very useful exercise, especially since I was changing from
          flat hull sides to curved.

          I raised the sheer in the bow as well for the same reasons, and I found that
          it was too narrow for a Queen sized bed (5'6") unless you moved it well aft
          and started wasting space. Ultimately, I moved the accommodation to the
          stern and I am going to use the bow as the galley.

          I think you're right about the engine, anything around 100hp should be
          fine; I'm using a 149 GM six cylinder with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive.

          The weight, or lack of it, is going to be a problem I suspect. Using modern
          construction methods will make the boat much too light and the chine at the
          transom is only in the water by about 35mm anyway. If the chine breaks
          clear of the surface it will dump the water out of the tunnel which will
          make for a bumpy ride. The displacement at Atkin's DWL is 4.22 tonnes so I
          am proposing to simply mark the required water line on the hull and then
          ballast as necessary.

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2009
            Alan,
            The funny part is I already had your site bookmarked, it's hell getting old.

            About the drive set up, I thought about using a belt drive system. There are several in use in Cmdr Robert Bebe's original "Voyaging Under Power" for far larger and higher horsepower yachts. The idea is to have a "breakaway" area in the drive train that will hopefully stall before wrecking anything important if a solid object is sucked into the prop. The engine could sit lower and along the center line and still keep the prop shaft at the specified angle.

            Along that line what about a controllable pitch prop? I am not sure of the cost of one like a Hundested but it would be handy to be able to reverse direction without shifting and to be able to adjust RPM and thrust.

            One of the Rescue Minor owners mentioned weed build up between the rudder and rudder strap. What if the strap were floating, with a small gap between the rudder post and strap. It would still deflect larger objects but hopefully allow weeds and rope to pass through.
            Regards
            Phil