Re: Antiquity

  • Sgt Sak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
      I really enjoyed the photo's thank you for taking the time to post them. I do have a question on how you attached the bottom of the boat to the frames and what you used for framing material. I have the plans for River Belle but am concerned about the materials specified in the construction, mainly oak frames, I have a source for local oak but not sure I want to use it in building a boat(most of it is not clear).

      What I was thinking about doing was using multiple layers of ply for the bottom and ply sistered with a good clear hem-fir. The other idea was to follow a Devlin style of construction.

      Currently I am still building the garage where I will build the boat(s) (can't have just one boat, lol) so I have some time to work this out.
      Regards
      Phil
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
        Phil Iwould not use what is called Hem-fir use only KD CVG fir from a real lumber yard. Hem-fir is a grade spcies that alows hemloc and fir to be mixed togather or all of eather. KD is seconed to seasoned lumber needs to be sanded befor gluing to losten the grain and plainer burn. Rib lumber needs to be knot free and dry or it will shrink and twist causing glue joints to be stressed or break. Atkins says no not having been speced for ply but should work with proper rib and scantling spacing.

        Jon

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Sgt Sak" <newbarndesign@...> wrote:

        > I really enjoyed the photo's thank you for taking the time to post them. I do have a question on how you attached the bottom of the boat to the frames and what you used for framing material. I have the plans for River Belle but am concerned about the materials specified in the construction, mainly oak frames, I have a source for local oak but not sure I want to use it in building a boat(most of it is not clear).
        >
        > What I was thinking about doing was using multiple layers of ply for the bottom and ply sistered with a good clear hem-fir. The other idea was to follow a Devlin style of construction.
        >
        > Currently I am still building the garage where I will build the boat(s) (can't have just one boat, lol) so I have some time to work this out.
        > Regards
        > Phil

      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2009
          Phil,

          I'm building a "River Belle" and have chosen to go the plywood/epoxy route
          instead of diagonal planking on frames.

          The flat bottom panel is two layers of 12mm and the remainder of the hull
          below the chine is two layers of 9mm. Above the chine has been changed to a
          curved profile and is built Lapstrake style as a single layer of 12mm planks
          about 275mm wide.

          The plywood is Hoop Pine Marine Ply to Australian Standard 2272 which has a
          stress rating of F17.

          The hull shape sits very nicely in plywood and there are no compound curves
          that I have found. It is not in the water yet, but has been deemed to be "a
          very solid beast" by my shipwright friend who is supervising the project.

          Alan

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13, 2009
            Alan photos would be real nice to see.

            Jon

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

            > Phil,
            >

            > I'm building a "River Belle" and have chosen to go the plywood/epoxy route
            > instead of diagonal planking on frames.
            >

            > The flat bottom panel is two layers of 12mm and the remainder of the hull
            > below the chine is two layers of 9mm. Above the chine has been changed to a
            > curved profile and is built Lapstrake style as a single layer of 12mm planks
            > about 275mm wide.
            >

            > The plywood is Hoop Pine Marine Ply to Australian Standard 2272 which has a
            > stress rating of F17.
            >

            > The hull shape sits very nicely in plywood and there are no compound curves
            > that I have found. It is not in the water yet, but has been deemed to be "a
            > very solid beast" by my shipwright friend who is supervising the project.
            >

            > Alan
          • Alan Boman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 13, 2009
              Jon - I have uploaded some photos on to the Group site (link below), I also
              have a web site with more at http://riverbelle.boman.biz

              Alan

              Visit
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AtkinBoats;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZjUwNjQ5BF9TAzk3MzU5N
              zE0BGdycElkAzExNzc5NzA3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTg4NDA5MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0a
              W1lAzEyNDc1MzU0ODE-> Your Group

            • Sgt Sak
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2009
                Alan,
                Have you posted pictures? I would be very interested to see how you put it together. I put the hull lines into a CAD program and pulled off the surface sections from there. I am planing on building a model of her first before I start on the real thing. I intend to raise the forecastle a bit and use that area for a sleeping area.

                My only other issue is what engine to use, I can't find a weight on the Kermath engine that was specified, I could go with a diesel but will more than likely use a ford 6cyl 4.9 because they are cheap and indestructible(almost). My worry is having enough weight to balance out the boat for proper performance of the tunnel.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Phil,

                  Yes, I have put some pictures in the Photos area at the Group's site.
                  Alternatively, you can look at my web site at http://riverbelle.boman.biz

                  I built several 1/10 scale models from 3mm MDF and 0.6mm modeller's marine
                  ply and it was a very useful exercise, especially since I was changing from
                  flat hull sides to curved.

                  I raised the sheer in the bow as well for the same reasons, and I found that
                  it was too narrow for a Queen sized bed (5'6") unless you moved it well aft
                  and started wasting space. Ultimately, I moved the accommodation to the
                  stern and I am going to use the bow as the galley.

                  I think you're right about the engine, anything around 100hp should be
                  fine; I'm using a 149 GM six cylinder with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive.

                  The weight, or lack of it, is going to be a problem I suspect. Using modern
                  construction methods will make the boat much too light and the chine at the
                  transom is only in the water by about 35mm anyway. If the chine breaks
                  clear of the surface it will dump the water out of the tunnel which will
                  make for a bumpy ride. The displacement at Atkin's DWL is 4.22 tonnes so I
                  am proposing to simply mark the required water line on the hull and then
                  ballast as necessary.

                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 2009
                    Alan,
                    The funny part is I already had your site bookmarked, it's hell getting old.

                    About the drive set up, I thought about using a belt drive system. There are several in use in Cmdr Robert Bebe's original "Voyaging Under Power" for far larger and higher horsepower yachts. The idea is to have a "breakaway" area in the drive train that will hopefully stall before wrecking anything important if a solid object is sucked into the prop. The engine could sit lower and along the center line and still keep the prop shaft at the specified angle.

                    Along that line what about a controllable pitch prop? I am not sure of the cost of one like a Hundested but it would be handy to be able to reverse direction without shifting and to be able to adjust RPM and thrust.

                    One of the Rescue Minor owners mentioned weed build up between the rudder and rudder strap. What if the strap were floating, with a small gap between the rudder post and strap. It would still deflect larger objects but hopefully allow weeds and rope to pass through.
                    Regards
                    Phil