New file uploaded to AtkinBoats

  • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2009
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
      group.

      File : /River Belle hull resistance.jpg
      Uploaded by : bomanaj <alan@...>
      Description : Graph from FreeShip shows hull resistance of River Belle

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      bomanaj <alan@...>
    • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
        group.

        File : /HappyClamSkiff.pdf
        Uploaded by : nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
        Description : Happy Clam article PDF

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011

          Hi “nasplundh”

          Thanks very much for the article about Happy Clam, including the offsets.  Terrific !

          You can immediately see that Happy Clam doesn’t make any attempt to direct the wash leaving the transom downward to provide lift.  The photos of Happy Clam underway clearly show the stern “squatting” significantly and given that its draft is given as 11.5”, I wonder what minimum depth it would need to operate?

          Given that Rescue Minor seems to achieve the best fore & aft balance, I wonder why the later designs trended away from what I would have thought was a very desirable characteristic??

          Alan

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
            Thanks for the Happy Clam Skiff! The plans show a speed of about 20mph with a 10 HP engine...any speculation what speed might be obtained with a 15 HP engine? I understand this is not a planing hull and it must "work" it's way through the water as opposed to skipping across the surface, so I'm not so sure more power will work at all. Any ideas out there?

            Around here there is A LOT of water, both fresh and salt and there can be a long way to go to get to your destination. My target / minimum speed is at least 25 mph and I am wondering if any of these Sea Bright Hulls can manage that speed.

            I also like the seaworthiness of these hulls as it would see some near coastal ocean water.

            Greg in SC, USA

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011

              Hi Greg,

              A speed of 20mph is way more than the natural “hull speed” for a 17’ boat, so you can safely say that it is well and truly planing.

              Atkin’s first ever Tunnel Stern design from 1922, “Mischief”, is the fastest of any of them and is quoted as achieving 23mph with a 30Hp engine.  It was a bit longer at 23’ which would have helped I suspect, but it gives you an idea.  The shape of the tunnel may have been a bit different too, but the plans haven’t survived, so far as I’m aware, so I guess we’ll never know.....

              Alan