RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Plans

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
      One of the available outputs of the freeware hull modelling software
      "FreeShip" (now called DelftShip) is a graph of speed versus drag for a
      given hull. (Drag can be converted to Kw or HP).

      There is no way of knowing how accurate the algorithms in the program are in
      absolute terms, but if you simply wanted to compare two relatively similar
      hull designs, it probably wouldn't matter much.

      The hull resistance graph for Atkin's "River Belle" hull is attached for
      interest.

      Alan

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
        Sorry folks -looks like Yahoo Groups strips attachments.

        If anyone's wants a copy of the hull resistance graph let me know.

        From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner are very similar as you suggest. Mr William
        > used the same hull shape, in a number of different lengths, over many
        > years. I am building a River Belle, which is the same shape again, but 36'
        > long. I had no trouble lofting the Offsets Table into a set of workable
        > plans, and the Plan/Profile drawings I received from Pat Atkin supplied
        the
        > remainder of the details.
        >

        > I notice that the Shoals Runner has a slightly more complex shape in the
        > after part of the chine, but otherwise seems very much the same as Rescue
        > Minor. Given that Mr William continuously refined his Tunnel Stern designs
        > over the years, the only significant difference may be that Shoals Runner
        is
        > from 1958 and Rescue Minor from 1944 and were any improvements made, then
        > the later design would be the better choice.
        >

        > Just a thought.
        >

        > Alan

        Too bad you couldn't put models in a tank to measure efficiency. It seems
        these "active" hulls need to be driven.

        I forget his name Mr Gnome? from Bagley boatworks wanted to do a test on
        these hulls but I recently went to his site and found they had fallen prey
        to our world wide recession. I'm afraid to say the D word.

        Anyway the only way I can think of to make tests would be to make ACCURATE
        RC models and switch the same power drive from model to model and measure
        speed and current draw.

        Just a thought.....................Tom C

      • Michael MacDonald
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
          I'd love to have your graph! I'm interested on how bad a job it was to get the hull into freeship I was thinking of doing Shoals runner?
          mike

          --
          Please do not use this EMail address. Please use Mike@... as your address to us. It will always get to our current email account. Just don't be surprised if you get email back from one of three or four different (outbound) addresses.

        • JJ Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

            > Sorry folks -looks like Yahoo Groups strips attachments.
            >

            > If anyone's wants a copy of the hull resistance graph let me know.

            Yep, Yahoo is good at striping things. But you could put it in files then everyone that wanted a copy could download it from the files folder of this site.