RE: [AtkinBoats] Plans- tunnel hulls

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi John,

      The plans for Nanuk III would probably have appeared first in a copy of
      "MoToR BoaTinG" magazine, but I haven't been able to find any indexes on the
      Net, so that's conjecture.

      All or most of the designs published in the magazine were then published
      again in a series of hard cover books called the Ideal Series. If you look
      at http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html you will find an index to
      most of those publications.

      Nanuk III is listed as being published in Volume 17, called "Building Plans
      for 43 Small Boats", in 1936. It is reasonable to suppose that the plans
      were originally published in the year or two before that. (Incidentally, it
      was repeated in Volume 46 in 1958).

      Also, Atkin mentions in his book "Of Yachts and Men", a boat called
      "Nanuk-Mikininni". It was designed for a Dr L.M. Waugh from New York in
      1935, for exploration work in Alaska. It was a Tunnel Stern of the same
      length and draft as Nanuk III so it seems a fair bet that it was the source
      of the design. Incidentally, Atkin also alludes to earlier Tunnel Stern
      designs such as "Jeannie", "Heron" and "Islamorada", but he specifically
      names "Mischief" as the first of the line. "Mischief" was 36' long, 10'
      beam and drew 12 inches; unfortunately, so far as I am aware, the plans have
      not survived.

      Alan

      From: _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> )
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2009
        Alan,

        Your history looks accurate. I received the Nanuk III plans today and the
        drawings are dated December, 1934 and bear No. 360. The undated MoToR
        Boating article states that Nanuk III is sixth in the line of tunnel hulls
        after Mischief ( 23'), Jennie (36'), Galilee (23'), Grampus and Heron (17').

        I have just started to study all the information you have posted on your
        web site and believe it will likely be very helpful in assessing and possibly
        proceeding with the Nunuk. Thank you.

        John

        at _http://www.boat-http://wwwhttp://www.bhttp_
        (http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html) you will find an index to
        most of those publications.

        Nanuk III is listed as being published in Volume 17, called "Building Plans
        for 43 Small Boats", in 1936. It is reasonable to suppose that the plans
        were originally published in the year or two before that. (Incidentally, it
        was repeated in Volume 46 in 1958).

        Also, Atkin mentions in his book "Of Yachts and Men", a boat called
        "Nanuk-Mikininni""Nanuk-Mikininni"<WBR>. It was designed for a Dr L.M.
        1935, for exploration work in Alaska. It was a Tunnel Stern of the same
        length and draft as Nanuk III so it seems a fair bet that it was the source
        of the design. Incidentally, Atkin also alludes to earlier Tunnel Stern
        designs such as "Jeannie", "Heron" and "Islamorada"designs such as "Jean

        From: _AtkinBoats@From: _AtkinBoats@<WB_AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_
        (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com)
        <mailto:AtkinBoats%mailto:AtkinBomai> )
        [mailto:_AtkinBoats[mailto:_AtkinBo[mailto:_A_AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_
[...]