Re: [AtkinBoats] Plans- tunnel hulls

  • boatnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Alan,

      Curious if you or anyone could tell me when the Nanuk III was designed
      during this timeline and if anyone has construction or operations experiences
      that they could share regarding the Nanuk III.

      Thanks,
      John

      In a message dated 6/29/2009 4:57:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      alan@... writes:

      HI Tom,

      Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner are very similar as you suggest. Mr William
      used the same hull shape, in a number of different lengths, over many
      years. I am building a River Belle, which is the same shape again, but 36'
      long. I had no trouble lofting the Offsets Table into a set of workable
      plans, and the Plan/Profile drawings I received from Pat Atkin supplied the
      remainder of the details.

      I notice that the Shoals Runner has a slightly more complex shape in the
      after part of the chine, but otherwise seems very much the same as Rescue
      Minor. Given that Mr William continuously refined his Tunnel Stern designs
      over the years, the only significant difference may be that Shoals Runner
      is
      from 1958 and Rescue Minor from 1944 and were any improvements made, then
      the later design would be the better choice.

      Just a thought.

      Alan

      1944 - 1958

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi John,

        The plans for Nanuk III would probably have appeared first in a copy of
        "MoToR BoaTinG" magazine, but I haven't been able to find any indexes on the
        Net, so that's conjecture.

        All or most of the designs published in the magazine were then published
        again in a series of hard cover books called the Ideal Series. If you look
        at http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html you will find an index to
        most of those publications.

        Nanuk III is listed as being published in Volume 17, called "Building Plans
        for 43 Small Boats", in 1936. It is reasonable to suppose that the plans
        were originally published in the year or two before that. (Incidentally, it
        was repeated in Volume 46 in 1958).

        Also, Atkin mentions in his book "Of Yachts and Men", a boat called
        "Nanuk-Mikininni". It was designed for a Dr L.M. Waugh from New York in
        1935, for exploration work in Alaska. It was a Tunnel Stern of the same
        length and draft as Nanuk III so it seems a fair bet that it was the source
        of the design. Incidentally, Atkin also alludes to earlier Tunnel Stern
        designs such as "Jeannie", "Heron" and "Islamorada", but he specifically
        names "Mischief" as the first of the line. "Mischief" was 36' long, 10'
        beam and drew 12 inches; unfortunately, so far as I am aware, the plans have
        not survived.

        From: _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> )
[...]

        &hmpgID=62&bcd=
        JunestepsfooterNO62)

      • boatnews@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2009
          Alan,

          Your history looks accurate. I received the Nanuk III plans today and the
          drawings are dated December, 1934 and bear No. 360. The undated MoToR
          Boating article states that Nanuk III is sixth in the line of tunnel hulls
          after Mischief ( 23'), Jennie (36'), Galilee (23'), Grampus and Heron (17').

          I have just started to study all the information you have posted on your
          web site and believe it will likely be very helpful in assessing and possibly
          proceeding with the Nunuk. Thank you.

          John

          at _http://www.boat-http://wwwhttp://www.bhttp_
          (http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html) you will find an index to
          most of those publications.

          Nanuk III is listed as being published in Volume 17, called "Building Plans
          for 43 Small Boats", in 1936. It is reasonable to suppose that the plans
          were originally published in the year or two before that. (Incidentally, it
          was repeated in Volume 46 in 1958).

          Also, Atkin mentions in his book "Of Yachts and Men", a boat called
          "Nanuk-Mikininni""Nanuk-Mikininni"<WBR>. It was designed for a Dr L.M.
          1935, for exploration work in Alaska. It was a Tunnel Stern of the same
          length and draft as Nanuk III so it seems a fair bet that it was the source
          of the design. Incidentally, Atkin also alludes to earlier Tunnel Stern
          designs such as "Jeannie", "Heron" and "Islamorada"designs such as "Jean

          From: _AtkinBoats@From: _AtkinBoats@<WB_AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_
          (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com)
          <mailto:AtkinBoats%mailto:AtkinBomai> )
          [mailto:_AtkinBoats[mailto:_AtkinBo[mailto:_A_AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_
[...]