Re: [AtkinBoats] Plans

  • Patrick Blanchard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2009
      Pat sent one sheet of the Dragon's gaff cutter sailplan and deck at my
      request, since my boat came with the original plans (even blue ink!) minus a
      sail plan. However, if you follow Chapelle's book it should help ease any
      attention to blueprint detail you think is missing.

      All the detail and more to rig my 1968 Eric. The Dragon and the Eric (and
      Thistle) share the same lines.

      Can you order study plans and decide from them? Also, you can take
      the blueprints and make your model of the same 3/4" = 1' scale. Your books
      should give enough detail for your decision before you order the full
      blueprints.

      A while ago, Ted Brewer gave me a discount on 2 sets of blueprints. Full
      price for the first, and a discount on the second set.

      Best of luck,
      Patrick

      On 6/28/09, calfee20 <calfee20@...> wrote:

      > I was just at the Wooden boat show in Mystic and went to the Atkin's booth
      > where I met Pat. She is a very nice lady.
      >
      > I thought I would be able to buy some plans there or at least look at a
      > sample of what you are getting. Since I haven't done anything more than
      > canoes I am kind of concerned about how much explanation is included.
      >
      > Pat said that you get four sheets. Now I went out and bought two of
      > Motorboating's Ideal series books a couple of years ago. Is there more
      > detail in the plans, more drawn stations or more detail for the stem and
      > frame or is it basically a large version of the book article?
      >
      > I am trying to decide between Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner without buying
      > two sets of plans. I am going to have to loft the plans whether I buy the
      > plans or use the books. Right now I think my best option is to make two
      > models to help me decide. Probably 2" to the foot.
      >
      > I will welcome any comments or input anyone may have thanks in advance.
      >
      > ....................................Tom C

    • Alan Boman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2009
        HI Tom,

        Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner are very similar as you suggest. Mr William
        used the same hull shape, in a number of different lengths, over many
        years. I am building a River Belle, which is the same shape again, but 36'
        long. I had no trouble lofting the Offsets Table into a set of workable
        plans, and the Plan/Profile drawings I received from Pat Atkin supplied the
        remainder of the details.

        I notice that the Shoals Runner has a slightly more complex shape in the
        after part of the chine, but otherwise seems very much the same as Rescue
        Minor. Given that Mr William continuously refined his Tunnel Stern designs
        over the years, the only significant difference may be that Shoals Runner is
        from 1958 and Rescue Minor from 1944 and were any improvements made, then
        the later design would be the better choice.

        Just a thought.

        Alan

        1944 - 1958

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

          > HI Tom,
          >

          > Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner are very similar as you suggest. Mr William
          > used the same hull shape, in a number of different lengths, over many
          > years. I am building a River Belle, which is the same shape again, but 36'
          > long. I had no trouble lofting the Offsets Table into a set of workable
          > plans, and the Plan/Profile drawings I received from Pat Atkin supplied the
          > remainder of the details.
          >

          > I notice that the Shoals Runner has a slightly more complex shape in the
          > after part of the chine, but otherwise seems very much the same as Rescue
          > Minor. Given that Mr William continuously refined his Tunnel Stern designs
          > over the years, the only significant difference may be that Shoals Runner is
          > from 1958 and Rescue Minor from 1944 and were any improvements made, then
          > the later design would be the better choice.
          >

          > Just a thought.
          >

          > Alan

          Too bad you couldn't put models in a tank to measure efficiency. It seems these "active" hulls need to be driven.

          I forget his name Mr Gnome? from Bagley boatworks wanted to do a test on these hulls but I recently went to his site and found they had fallen prey to our world wide recession. I'm afraid to say the D word.

          Anyway the only way I can think of to make tests would be to make ACCURATE RC models and switch the same power drive from model to model and measure speed and current draw.

          Just a thought.....................Tom C
        • Alan Boman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
            One of the available outputs of the freeware hull modelling software
            "FreeShip" (now called DelftShip) is a graph of speed versus drag for a
            given hull. (Drag can be converted to Kw or HP).

            There is no way of knowing how accurate the algorithms in the program are in
            absolute terms, but if you simply wanted to compare two relatively similar
            hull designs, it probably wouldn't matter much.

            The hull resistance graph for Atkin's "River Belle" hull is attached for
            interest.

            Alan

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
              Sorry folks -looks like Yahoo Groups strips attachments.

              If anyone's wants a copy of the hull resistance graph let me know.

              From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner are very similar as you suggest. Mr William
              > used the same hull shape, in a number of different lengths, over many
              > years. I am building a River Belle, which is the same shape again, but 36'
              > long. I had no trouble lofting the Offsets Table into a set of workable
              > plans, and the Plan/Profile drawings I received from Pat Atkin supplied
              the
              > remainder of the details.
              >

              > I notice that the Shoals Runner has a slightly more complex shape in the
              > after part of the chine, but otherwise seems very much the same as Rescue
              > Minor. Given that Mr William continuously refined his Tunnel Stern designs
              > over the years, the only significant difference may be that Shoals Runner
              is
              > from 1958 and Rescue Minor from 1944 and were any improvements made, then
              > the later design would be the better choice.
              >

              > Just a thought.
              >

              > Alan

              Too bad you couldn't put models in a tank to measure efficiency. It seems
              these "active" hulls need to be driven.

              I forget his name Mr Gnome? from Bagley boatworks wanted to do a test on
              these hulls but I recently went to his site and found they had fallen prey
              to our world wide recession. I'm afraid to say the D word.

              Anyway the only way I can think of to make tests would be to make ACCURATE
              RC models and switch the same power drive from model to model and measure
              speed and current draw.

              Just a thought.....................Tom C

            • Michael MacDonald
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
                I'd love to have your graph! I'm interested on how bad a job it was to get the hull into freeship I was thinking of doing Shoals runner?
                mike

                --
                Please do not use this EMail address. Please use Mike@... as your address to us. It will always get to our current email account. Just don't be surprised if you get email back from one of three or four different (outbound) addresses.

              • JJ Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

                  > Sorry folks -looks like Yahoo Groups strips attachments.
                  >

                  > If anyone's wants a copy of the hull resistance graph let me know.

                  Yep, Yahoo is good at striping things. But you could put it in files then everyone that wanted a copy could download it from the files folder of this site.