New Member - Old Atkin

  • bailey.john87
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2009
      Hi All,

      I just purchased an old cruising sailboat. I'm told it's an Atkin design, but I've not been able to find which model. It's 26'7" LOD, 9'1" beam and has headroom of about 5'10". It has the lines and looks of a Barrie Anne, but is beamier with more headroom. I was told it was built in 1936 and in it's day won it's class in the Chicago Mac race.

      I've added a new folder under the name "Njord" in the album section. I'm hoping someone here can give some information on the boat. I've sent a letter to Atkin Yacht Design, but they say it will take a couple of weeks, and I'm dieing to find some information.

      Yes, it's a project, but a project that I've wanted to do for a long time.

      Any help will be appreciated.

      John
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2009
        Good luck with your new project, John!

        Finding the original plans for her might not be possible. The Atkins
        designed around 900 boats between them; we only have around 300 in the
        catalog. If you don't see a design that matches your boat in the online
        catalog, it won't be in the printed catalog. Although Mrs. Atkin has many
        plans that aren't in the catalog, most of the Atkin plans that weren't
        held by MoToR BoatinG magazine were swept away by the 1938 hurricane that
        destroyed the Atkin home and design office; the plans for your 1936 built
        boat could have been lost at that time. If you can discover the original
        name of the boat, it may help Mrs. Atkin in her search. The University of
        Washington has a good collection of bound Rudder magazines they're willing
        to send out via interlibrary loan, at least to other academic
        institutions; you can probably find articles about the late '30s Mackinac
        races in the appropriate volumes.

        Good luck!

        On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:09:29 -0700, John B wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I just purchased an old cruising sailboat. I'm told it's an Atkin
        > design, but I've not been able to find which model. It's 26'7" LOD,
        > 9'1" beam and has headroom of about 5'10". It has the lines and looks
        > of a Barrie Anne, but is beamier with more headroom. I was told it was
        > built in 1936 and in it's day won it's class in the Chicago Mac race.
        >
        > I've added a new folder under the name "Njord" in the album section.
        > I'm hoping someone here can give some information on the boat. I've
        > sent a letter to Atkin Yacht Design, but they say it will take a couple
        > of weeks, and I'm dieing to find some information.

        I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a
        great deal. If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and
        use oar or paddle... they would get infinitely more benefit than
        by having their work done for them by gasoline. <Theodore
        Roosevelt>
      • bailey.john87
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2009
          Thanks John,

          I've contacted Atkins and they were not able to identify the boat. I ordered the catalog and was hoping there were more designs in the catalog than on the website. Sounds like that's not the case. I think I will be able to get the name, at least the name that's on it now. It's very weathered over, but I'm going to the boat tomorrow to do some clean up and will try to figure it out. My main concern is to identify what type of rig it had. The mast step is about 9 ft. from the bow of the boat. That puts it just about 1/3 of the LOD. There is a bowsprit that has broken off, and it would appear it had some kind of double foresail arrangement. I'm hoping to put a gaff rig on it.

          John

          > Good luck with your new project, John!
          >
          > Finding the original plans for her might not be possible. The Atkins
          > designed around 900 boats between them; we only have around 300 in the
          > catalog. If you don't see a design that matches your boat in the online
          > catalog, it won't be in the printed catalog. Although Mrs. Atkin has many
          > plans that aren't in the catalog, most of the Atkin plans that weren't
          > held by MoToR BoatinG magazine were swept away by the 1938 hurricane that
          > destroyed the Atkin home and design office; the plans for your 1936 built
          > boat could have been lost at that time. If you can discover the original
          > name of the boat, it may help Mrs. Atkin in her search. The University of
          > Washington has a good collection of bound Rudder magazines they're willing
          > to send out via interlibrary loan, at least to other academic
          > institutions; you can probably find articles about the late '30s Mackinac
          > races in the appropriate volumes.
          >
          > Good luck!
          >
          > On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:09:29 -0700, John B wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I just purchased an old cruising sailboat. I'm told it's an Atkin
          > > design, but I've not been able to find which model. It's 26'7" LOD,
          > > 9'1" beam and has headroom of about 5'10". It has the lines and looks
          > > of a Barrie Anne, but is beamier with more headroom. I was told it was
          > > built in 1936 and in it's day won it's class in the Chicago Mac race.
          > >
          > > I've added a new folder under the name "Njord" in the album section.
          > > I'm hoping someone here can give some information on the boat. I've
          > > sent a letter to Atkin Yacht Design, but they say it will take a couple
          > > of weeks, and I'm dieing to find some information.

          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a
          > great deal. If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and
          > use oar or paddle... they would get infinitely more benefit than
          > by having their work done for them by gasoline. <Theodore
          > Roosevelt>

        • bailey.john87
          Message 4 of 4 , May 17, 2009
            I spent a bit of time working on the stern of the old Atkins boat today. I way able to clear the name, enough to make it out. It is the "JUBILEE" and was based in OMENA, which is just North of where it sits now.

            It would be great if anyone on this forum had any memory of this boat.

            John