Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Reviewing Atkin's Plans

  • Michael MacDonald
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2009
      First of all thanks info and my apologies for not replying quicker, got dragged away for other things.

      My wife and I have been going up and down the ICW over to the Bahamas for a bunch of years and we'd like sell our existing boat, build the next boat, and spend a few years do the great circle. The Bahamas could be a lot of fun with a very shallow draft. Our current boat is a Grampian 34 Ketch and it suits us well and if we don't sell it within the next month or so we will be taking it off the market so we can get it ready to go south again. After 7 years on the boat we had a number of ideas that "if we were building our own boat it would have ..." to suit our style of of cruising.

      We brought the boat home three years ago to refresh it as well as ourselves and I started designing "the next boat" as well as doing some research into boat design as well as boat building. I've build several dinghys over the years in wood and (I can hear the screams now) Corecel. If you're interested take a peek at http://www.millenniumodyssey.ca/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=38&MMN_position=29:27

      I built a model of what we wanted using a Chesapeake Oyster boat as a basic hullform and put in the interior very roughly with tanks, engine etc to scale and let the design stew for a while. The Seabright Skiff came to my attention after reading Dave Gerr's "Nature of Boats". I think the Seabright Skiff would have a number of interesting advantages over the Oyster boat. The article in woodenboat you mentioned sent me scurrying to the Atkin's boat plans. The idea of a tunnel drive has a lot of appeal.

      As for what other features we would be interested in having, a serious anchor locker, a high pressure washdown pump for the anchor rode, a hot water heating system, space for solar panels, an aft area for "two chairs and a drink table", a helm station with 360 degree visability and out of the weather, a place where we can carry a dinghy, a life raft, space on the forward deck for working on anchors etc, a master cabin with a real double bed, a boat that sleeps two, eats four, and drinks many.

      Thanks for the info

      mike

      --
      Please do not use this EMail address. Please use Mike@... as your address to us. It will always get to our current email account. Just don't be surprised if you get email back from one of three or four different (outbound) addresses.