Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Russell R.

Expand Messages
  • jkohnen@boat-links.com
    Some of the Atkin skiffs have that concavity in the chine forward, but on the plan views of Russell R. and Little Effort the apparent concavity is an optical
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Some of the Atkin skiffs have that concavity in the chine forward, but on
      the plan views of Russell R. and Little Effort the apparent concavity is an
      optical illusion. If you've got the articles on the boats, put a straight
      edge along the chine and you'll see that they're slightly _convex_. The body
      plans show a smooth twist, that plywood would follow fine, from aft up to
      section 3, or maybe two, but it twists back up towards the stem, so some
      persuasion would probably be needed to get a plywood sheet to fit. Lapstrake
      would probably not only look better (and "keep the spray down") but also
      cause fewer headaches.

      Good idea about adding the Atkin URL to the footer.

      On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:08:24 -0500, Bob wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > Thanks for the Atkins plan site, John and Billy have always been two of
      > my favorite designers and writers. One feature of Little Effort that
      > is found on many of the Atkins' flat bottomed designs is that little
      > hollow or concavity of the chine line at the bow. This sharpens the bow
      > at the waterline and eases the flow at the entry. You don't see that
      > much in these days of fully developed sheet plywood designs. In a
      > small boat you might get away with torturing a sheet of plywood to fit
      > both the chine and sheer curves, but it's much easier to do with
      > planked or lapstraked sides. No reason not to use full sheets on the
      > bottom though.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > PS: How about putting the link to the Atkins plan pages in the group
      > message footer.

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
      <H. W. Tilman>
    • Bob Johnson
      You re right. I was seeing what was in my mind, not what was in front of my eye. You can see what I m talking about on Shore Liner, which is one of my
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 23, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        You're right. I was seeing what was in my mind, not what was in front
        of my eye. You can see what I'm talking about on Shore Liner, which is
        one of my favorites.

        Bob
        ---
        > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:53:21 -0800
        > From: jkohnen@...
        > Subject: Re: Re: Russell R.
        >
        > Some of the Atkin skiffs have that concavity in the chine forward, but
        > on
        > the plan views of Russell R. and Little Effort the apparent concavity
        > is an
        > optical illusion. If you've got the articles on the boats, put a
        > straight
        > edge along the chine and you'll see that they're slightly _convex_.
        > The body
        > plans show a smooth twist, that plywood would follow fine, from aft up
        > to
        > section 3, or maybe two, but it twists back up towards the stem, so
        > some
        > persuasion would probably be needed to get a plywood sheet to fit.
        > Lapstrake
        > would probably not only look better (and "keep the spray down") but
        > also
        > cause fewer headaches.
        >
        >
        > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:08:24 -0500, Bob wrote:
        >> ................................ One feature of Little Effort that
        >> is found on many of the Atkins' flat bottomed designs is that little
        >> hollow or concavity of the chine line at the bow. This sharpens the
        >> bow
        >> at the waterline and eases the flow at the entry. You don't see that
        >> much in these days of fully developed sheet plywood designs. In a
        >> small boat you might get away with torturing a sheet of plywood to fit
        >> both the chine and sheer curves, but it's much easier to do with
        >> planked or lapstraked sides. No reason not to use full sheets on the
        >> bottom though.....
      • jkohnen@boat-links.com
        ... Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:38:39 EDT From: Huttbldr@aol.com To: jkohnen@boat-links.com Subject: Atkin boats I ve ordered the plans for a Russell R. a 21ft.
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          This fellow emailed me in private, but his question really belongs here:

          -------- Forwarded message --------
          Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:38:39 EDT
          From: Huttbldr@...
          To: jkohnen@...
          Subject: Atkin boats

          I've ordered the plans for a Russell R. a 21ft. 10in. flat bottom shelter
          cabin utility. Has anyone built this boat and are there any pictures available?
          Thanks, Jeff

          --
          John <jkohnen@...>
          http://www.boat-links.com/
          Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
          provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
          starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
          <Oscar Wilde>
        • chunsdorfer
          My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking crazily in any sort of
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
            the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
            crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
            through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
            We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
            knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
            frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
            We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
            seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
            boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
            from wonderful to risky.
            The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
            Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
            tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
            scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
            that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
            sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
            make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
            possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
            transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
            a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
            Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
            make engine/other recommendations?

            Thanks in advance!

            Charley
          • huttbldr@aol.com
            Hey Charlie, I m in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in. ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Hey Charlie,
              I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in.
              ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be happy
              to answer any questions.

              Good Luck, Jeff


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • echo172@comcast.net
              I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I m on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
                Bruce in NJ

                -------------- Original message --------------
                From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
                My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                from wonderful to risky.
                Recent Activity
                7New Members
                2New Photos
                Visit Your Group
                SPONSORED LINKS
                Atkin
                Building plan
                Deck building plan
                House building plan
                Home building plan
                Yahoo! News
                US News
                Get the latest
                national news now
                Y! GeoCities
                Create a Blog
                And tell the world
                what you think.
                Sitebuilder
                Free Download
                Build your web
                site in minutes..


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • chunsdorfer
                ... 1/2 in. ... outboard. Be happy ... Jeff, I d love to hear about or even see the results. I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:
                  >
                  > Hey Charlie,
                  > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
                  1/2 in.
                  > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
                  outboard. Be happy
                  > to answer any questions.
                  >
                  > Good Luck, Jeff
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
                  I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
                  planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
                  gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
                  Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
                  tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
                  heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
                  it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
                  Please keep us updated!
                • chunsdorfer
                  ... Bruce, I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the Russell R. by 10%, I m also considering adding 2 between the stations, which would
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
                    Bruce,
                    I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
                    Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
                    stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
                    While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
                    Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

                    > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest
                    and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat
                    to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs
                    and right now nothing is firmed up.
                    > Bruce in NJ
                    >
                    > -------------- Original message --------------
                    > From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
                    > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming
                    through
                    > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel,
                    rocking
                    > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a
                    crawl
                    > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                    > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18
                    knots,
                    > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a
                    tube
                    > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                    > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                    > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                    > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                    > from wonderful to risky.
                    > Recent Activity
                    > 7New Members
                    > 2New Photos
                    > Visit Your Group
                    > SPONSORED LINKS
                    > Atkin
                    > Building plan
                    > Deck building plan
                    > House building plan
                    > Home building plan
                    > Yahoo! News
                    > US News
                    > Get the latest
                    > national news now
                    > Y! GeoCities
                    > Create a Blog
                    > And tell the world
                    > what you think.
                    > Sitebuilder
                    > Free Download
                    > Build your web
                    > site in minutes..
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                  • adharvey2
                    ... Hello Charley. Myself I ve been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15 mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding boat! I
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                      > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                      > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                      > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                      > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                      > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                      > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                      > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                      > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                      > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                      > from wonderful to risky.
                      > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
                      > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
                      > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
                      > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
                      > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                      > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                      > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                      > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                      > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
                      > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                      > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
                      > make engine/other recommendations?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance!
                      >
                      > Charley
                      >

                      Hello Charley.
                      Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
                      mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
                      boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
                      circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
                      Montana winters on a trailer.
                      I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
                      be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
                      to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                      sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
                      an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                      bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
                      Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
                      4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
                      gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
                      lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
                      stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
                      feet is the way to go.
                      Andrew
                    • Kenneth Grome
                      ... closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I m looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                        > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                        closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                        seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                        is firmed up.


                        Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                        so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                        crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                        Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                        easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

                        Sincerely,
                        Kenneth Grome
                        Bagacay Boatworks
                        www.bagacayboatworks.com
                      • chunsdorfer
                        ... through ... rocking ... crawl ... knots, ... tube ... condition ... and ... engine ... would ... realize ... build ... and ... 15 ... might ... love ...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@>
                          wrote:
                          > >
                          > > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming
                          through
                          > > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel,
                          rocking
                          > > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a
                          crawl
                          > > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                          > > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18
                          knots,
                          > > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a
                          tube
                          > > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                          > > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                          > > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                          > > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in
                          condition
                          > > from wonderful to risky.
                          > > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret
                          and
                          > > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and
                          engine
                          > > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I
                          would
                          > > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I
                          realize
                          > > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                          > > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                          > > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                          > > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                          > > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and
                          build
                          > > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                          > > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others,
                          and
                          > > make engine/other recommendations?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks in advance!
                          > >
                          > > Charley
                          > >
                          >
                          > Hello Charley.
                          > Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have
                          15
                          > mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
                          > boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
                          > circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
                          > Montana winters on a trailer.
                          > I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it
                          might
                          > be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd
                          love
                          > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                          > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                          course
                          > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                          > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                          Effort?
                          > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                          extra
                          > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                          fishing
                          > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                          much
                          > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                          kinda
                          > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and
                          20+
                          > feet is the way to go.
                          > Andrew
                          >
                          The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                          just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                          well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                          unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                          fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                          Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                          and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                          nice to think about!
                        • echo172@comcast.net
                          Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                            Bruce
                            -------------- Original message ----------------------
                            From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                            > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                            > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                            > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                            > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                            > is firmed up.
                            >
                            >
                            > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                            > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                            > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                            > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                            > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                            >
                            > Sincerely,
                            > Kenneth Grome
                            > Bagacay Boatworks
                            > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >




                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • chunsdorfer
                            ... Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren t quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
                              >
                              > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                              Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                              fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                              boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                              I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                              a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                              rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                              sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                              designs, that's why I lurk.
                              > Bruce
                              > -------------- Original message ----------------------
                              > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                              > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                              > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                              quest and no
                              > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                              handle the
                              > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                              now nothing
                              > > is firmed up.
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                              weather commuter,
                              > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                              bridge the wave
                              > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                              length. Bruce
                              > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                              make trailering
                              > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                              > >
                              > > Sincerely,
                              > > Kenneth Grome
                              > > Bagacay Boatworks
                              > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              >
                              I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                              I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                              sort of structure above the gunwales.
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.