A "River Belle" starts to appear

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 20, 2009
      Hi Guys,

      I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put the
      last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.

      There is still a looooong way to go but it's nice to see a 65 year old
      design coming into being; it's like a piece of history being resurrected
      out of the mist. Mr William never intended this design for plywood & epoxy
      (obviously), but the panels sit on the curves very nicely. A complement to
      a lovely design.

      There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
      "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

      Alan

      South Australia

    • Sgt Sak
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 21, 2009
        Outstanding!!!, that is the design I am interested in building. I am currently building the garage that I will build the boat in. I am really grateful for the pictures. I gives me an idea of the scale of the project.
        Regards
        Phil
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
          Looks good Alan! I'm pleased to see that on your Web page you mention that
          your boat was "inspired by" Wm. Atkin's design. I suppose this is a good
          time to remind people that when they alter an Atkin design, it becomes
          their design, not an Atkin boat, and the Atkins can't be blamed for any
          peculiarities in the performance. But your boat looks good so far, Alan,
          and I hope it works out well for you.

          On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:41:52 -0700, Alan B wrote:

          > I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put
          > the
          > last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.
          > There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
          > "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

          The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
          of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
          blood. <Logan Pearsall Smith>
        • Alan Boman
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
            Hi John,

            Your absolutely right. Although the changes I have made to Mr William's
            design are very minor, they have been very carefully thought about and are
            my responsibility.

            Below the waterline, the prop shaft angle is flattened a bit because I have
            moved the engine forward and I have also offset the engine to Starboard
            instead on Port because of its direction of rotation, and that's it.

            Above the chine, I have changed the flat planked sides to curved clinker
            with a raised sheer because it better suits frameless plywood construction.

            We'll see how it works out.

            Cheers

            Alan

            Looks good Alan! I'm pleased to see that on your Web page you mention that
            your boat was "inspired by" Wm. Atkin's design. I suppose this is a good
            time to remind people that when they alter an Atkin design, it becomes
            their design, not an Atkin boat, and the Atkins can't be blamed for any
            peculiarities in the performance. But your boat looks good so far, Alan,
            and I hope it works out well for you.

            On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:41:52 -0700, Alan B wrote:

            > I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put
            > the
            > last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.
            > There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
            > "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

            The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
            of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
            blood. <Logan Pearsall Smith>

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links