Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Scarf Joints

  • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2009
      Hi All,
      I don't know a boat of any size not involving scarffs these days. Use on chine logs fine as long as you remember the scarff is going to be a hard spot that will be straighter then the curve set by the unscarffed wood. With chines, keelsons, etc you generally end up scarffing twice, toward the bow and stern where the line (generally speaking) straightens-out. Use of vintage wood, hard from years of "seasoning" means a strong structure as long as the pieces are clear. You will find that driving nails and screws will require care. I am jealous...if I see a load of clear straight-grained lumber on a truck I start whining.

      Best,
      Bill