Re: [AtkinBoats] Robb White's Rescue Minor

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2004
      In a world of plastic mass produced homogenized boats
      it is nice to see a distinctive boat with individual
      style. If any of us ever saw Robb Whites's barrel
      back Rescue minor at a dock we would know the boat.

      It is like when Thespis stepped out of the Greek
      chorus and became the first actor (Thespian). Robb
      White stepped out of the bland crowd with a good sense
      of style and design.
      Lon

      Ol' man river, dat ol' man river,/ He must know
      sumpin', but don't say nothin',/ He just keeps
      rollin', he keeps on rollin' along.
      Oscar Hammerstein (1895 - 1960) US lyricist, musical
      comedy author
      From the musical "Show Boat.," "Ol' Man River."

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2004
        Well, I guess I stumbled on a way to get people to contribute to this list!
        ;o) It is my personal opinion, but I think Robb White's stern doesn't go
        well with the rest of the boat. I like barrel backs just fine, just not on a
        Rescue Minor. <g>

        The Atkins knew the good a bit of tumblehome aft did for the looks of a
        motorboat, and often added some to otherwise starkly simple designs with
        good effect. If you're not using plywood sheets for planking, it really
        shouldn't add much complication to the building. But Rescue Minor was
        designed for plywood construction, so Wm. used a straight-sided transom.
        It's not ugly, but it'd look better with some shape. Robb White just got a
        bit carried away! <g> Putting tumblehome into a stern on a fiberglass boat
        is troublesome and expensive, but I guess nowadays we're used to the boxy
        sterns on motorboats, and there's so much other ugliness in their designs
        that the sterns don't jump out at us...

        On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:30 +1000 (EST), Hugo wrote:
        > Its all personal taste, but I do think Robb has improved the asthetics of
        the Rescue Minor design by modifying the stern to a "Barrel-Back" shape. I
        don't think it would affect performance or capacity(Negatively) in any
        appreciable way and makes a fairly plain looking boat just that bit more
        visually exciting!

        Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
        they meet two conditions:
        1. He is a Greek
        2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>