Re: Scarf Joints

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 10:44 PM
      Ha Eugene what boat are you building this time?
      Dont have any sights with actual test data but in boat building chines stringers and keel planks are generaly scarfed at 8-1 min. with scarfs spaced out on a keel with stacked planks. The tow and heal of the scarf are on the wide dimention. In the case of 2X4 and 2X6 the angle would be across the 2" side.

      Jon

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Dixon" <edalmatiandixon@...> wrote:

      > Looking for source of engineering data on scarf joints in larger lumber , 2x4 2x6 ect.. to be used in structural locations.
      > Chine , stringers,keelsons ect.
      > Eugene
      > Portof Catoosa

    • EUGENE DIXON
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10 4:04 AM
        Hi Jon
          Haven't been able  do any building lately,  been playing dirty ole landlord, redo on empty apts.  Piccup pram fully ready for epoxy ,hope to get to it this week end.
          Reason I ask about scarfing is I stumbled on several hundred feet{free{  of  1/4 sawn
        1 5/8 x 3 5/8  YP "Clear"  Was studs in old RT-66 motel.  Have not seen this quality in 50 yrs.  Would like to years, would like to use it in Delta Q Problem is all 8 ft lengths.
                                               Eugene
        Port of Catoosa

      • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10 6:08 AM
          Hi All,
          I don't know a boat of any size not involving scarffs these days. Use on chine logs fine as long as you remember the scarff is going to be a hard spot that will be straighter then the curve set by the unscarffed wood. With chines, keelsons, etc you generally end up scarffing twice, toward the bow and stern where the line (generally speaking) straightens-out. Use of vintage wood, hard from years of "seasoning" means a strong structure as long as the pieces are clear. You will find that driving nails and screws will require care. I am jealous...if I see a load of clear straight-grained lumber on a truck I start whining.

          Best,
          Bill