Re: MotorSkiff

  • Tom Hesselink
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
      design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
      to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
      electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
      of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
      the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.

      > Thats a mighty big motor to be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
      for
      > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
      Too
      > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
      think 8
      > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
      matter...
      > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
      boats!

      > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
      >
      > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
      few
      > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
      > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
      > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
      > > builders would be greatly appreciated
      > > thanks
      >
      > --
      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
      > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

    • DanielC
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
        a little later than we planned we are starting this week. Thanks for the input we are looking for a smaller motor now We were given the other one but lighter is better and we need the boat done for the first day of fishing season LOL

        Dan

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hesselink" <quietboats@...> wrote:

        > Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
        > design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
        > to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
        > electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
        > of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
        > the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thats a mighty big motor to
        be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
        > for
        > > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
        > Too
        > > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
        > think 8
        > > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
        > matter...
        > > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
        > boats!
        > >
        > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
        > >
        > > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
        > few
        > > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
        > > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
        > > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
        > > > builders would be greatly appreciated
        > > > thanks
        > >
        > > --
        > > John <jkohnen@>
        > > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
        > > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

      • John Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
          I'm building the Atkins designed "Victor Slocum" inboard skiff and plan to use the EVAmerica  A00-4009 DC motor (that runs on 24 - 72 VDC), Alltrax  AXE-4834 Controller (24 - 48 volt),  Pro-4 Joystick, Curtis enGage fuel & hour meter, ammeter, voltmeter, and various battery connectors, cable, etc.  I already have a new Lorain 48-volt battery charger (35 amp) and room in my boat at the Center of Balance for four T-1275 12-volt batteries (150 amphour, 82 lbs. each) so I am planning to eventually be running on 48 volts BUT initially I will be running on 24 VDC using only two of the batteries and charging them individually with a small cheap 12-volt charger to see if I like to run the boat at the lower voltage.

          John Campbell
          Belton, Texas
          254-939-7865
          a little later than we planned we are starting this week. Thanks for the input we are looking for a smaller motor now We were given the other one but lighter is better and we need the boat done for the first day of fishing season LOL

          Dan

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, "Tom Hesselink" <quietboats@ ...> wrote:

          > Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
          > design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
          > to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
          > electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
          > of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
          > the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thats a mighty big motor to
          be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
          > for
          > > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
          > Too
          > > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
          > think 8
          > > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
          > matter...
          > > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
          > boats!
          > >
          > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
          > >
          > > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
          > few
          > > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
          > > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
          > > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
          > > > builders would be greatly appreciated
          > > > thanks
          > >
          > > --
          > > John <jkohnen@>
          > > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
          > > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

        • Lloyd Sumpter
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi

            I'm looking at building a boat around my old 10 hp diesel, and I'm
            looking at several Atkins designs, including the Sixteen Too. But I have
            a question about the speeds mentioned in the "blurb":

            Considering the amount of rocker in the hull, and the fact the transom
            seems to be pretty much out of the water, I'd consider the design
            "displacement" (as opposed to semi-displacement or planing), which would
            restrict it to hull speed, which would be about 5 knots. But the blurb
            says it will go "10 to 11 mph", which is about 8.5 knots, or 160% of
            hull speed, with only 5 hp.

            Can someone who's actually built a Sixteen Too confirm the speeds it can
            achieve? Can you get substantially over hullspeed with under 10hp?

            druid
            http://www.bcboatnet.org