Re: everhope

  • capt.tilley
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 10:42 AM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:
      >Hey. What kubota did you end up with and what are you going to do
      about the tranny. I mailed off for everhope plans the other day. I
      wont be able to start building until Sept or latter, but I will start
      gathering supplies. I am thinking of strip planking the hull up to
      the turn of the bilge then doing glued lapstrake ply on the top sides.
      I have a glued lapstrake double paddle canoe (Piccalo By baker) that
      I built about ten years ago. No frames. I have used it hard. It was a
      tender for a little 26' sailboat I lived on for 8 years. It got banged
      around left under docks... Lost it for three days in Baha and it went
      up on the beach through 6-eight foot surf. You can see the sides flex
      when you squish it between two boats or drop it on its gunwale, yet
      the laps havent come apart at all. It seems very flexable but it
      doesnt seem to hurt anything. Its stiff in the turn of the bilge and
      flexy in the straight sections. t

    • capt.tilley
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 10:52 AM
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@...> wrote:
        >Hey I like the curved transom idea. But why would you loft it at 3"
        -1' first. I would have just lofted it (expansion?) on the lofting
        floor. t.
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@> wrote:
        > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
        > > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
        > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
        > > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
        > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

        > I hear what you're saying about that flat transom- that's why so many
        > surf boats tend to be dories and double-enders of one sort or another.
        > But I personally wouldn't be too concerned about this one. She will
        > ride that stuff fairly high. Look at how much buoyancy you've got in
        > those "butt cheeks", and the *initially* dry transom.
        >
        > You might want to try a curved, raking transom but not without drawing
        > it in 3"-to-1' before the full-size lofting. I can't predict how much
        > your mileage may vary, but that's my thinking on the subject.
        >
        > Darned if you haven't got me wanting to make one for myself!
        >
        > Davy

      • davy riggs
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 6:57 AM
          Hi, T

          It's always a good idea to draw it on a table first.
          You discover the designer's mistakes and get
          familiarity with it whilst sitting down, rather than
          on your old arthritic knees. In this specific case,
          you'll want a good view of any changes you make in
          three views, rather than deciding you don't like its
          looks on the floor or, worse, on the setup.

          --- "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@...> wrote:

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim"
          > <titanicslim@...> wrote:
          > >Hey I like the curved transom idea. But why would
          > you loft it at 3"
          > -1' first. I would have just lofted it (expansion?)
          > on the lofting
          > floor. t.
          > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley"
          > <capt.tilley@> wrote:
          > > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems
          > slappy and pushy. Though
          > > > I could never beach launch everhope into
          > anything bigger than waist
          > > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you
          > can drive down to.
          > > > Its realitively protected but always has at
          > least knee to thigh high
          > > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

          > > I hear what you're saying about that flat transom-
          > that's why so many
          > > surf boats tend to be dories and double-enders of
          > one sort or another.
          > > But I personally wouldn't be too concerned about
          > this one. She will
          > > ride that stuff fairly high. Look at how much
          > buoyancy you've got in
          > > those "butt cheeks", and the *initially* dry
          > transom.
          > >
          > > You might want to try a curved, raking transom but
          > not without drawing
          > > it in 3"-to-1' before the full-size lofting. I
          > can't predict how much
          > > your mileage may vary, but that's my thinking on
          > the subject.
          > >
          > > Darned if you haven't got me wanting to make one
          > for myself!
          > >
          > > Davy

          A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience. - Doug Larson