everhope

  • capt.tilley
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2009
      Hello
      I have looked long and hard for a design that suits me. Everhope is so
      close. However for my area (s.oregon coast) I would like something
      that can take a beach launching and bar crossing a little better. I
      would like to extend the transom into a normandy transom like shoals
      runner. I have looked back in the archives a little and noticed Robb
      whites apprehension to messing with the tunnel. Any advice out there
      on this proposal. Some might say build shoals runner. I have
      wrestled with this. But everhope has a larger interior volume and
      breadth that I am looking for (though 6" less draft and an enclosed
      rudder are tempting).

      If anyone has plans for everhope or shoals runner (unbuilt of course)
      that they want to part with please email Baggywrinkle@hotmail.
      thanks t.
    • titanicslim
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2009

        Being familiar with (and greatly missing) the waters in your area, I'd
        tend to favor Everhope. Her hull form should provide an easier motion
        in rough water. That, a few inches more freeboard, and the
        characteristic Atkin flaring bows... Personally, I would just feel
        safer and more comfortable in it, I think.

        True, the keel is just about twice as wide on Shoals Runner but
        therein lies the age-old question. Consider also that the Everhope
        will be worth twice as much- and prettier!

        Dave

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I have looked long and hard for a design that suits me. Everhope is so
        > close. However for my area (s.oregon coast) I would like something
        > that can take a beach launching and bar crossing a little better. I
        > would like to extend the transom into a normandy transom like shoals
        > runner. I have looked back in the archives a little and noticed Robb
        > whites apprehension to messing with the tunnel. Any advice out there
        > on this proposal. Some might say build shoals runner. I have
        > wrestled with this. But everhope has a larger interior volume and
        > breadth that I am looking for (though 6" less draft and an enclosed
        > rudder are tempting).
        >
        > If anyone has plans for everhope or shoals runner (unbuilt of course)
        > that they want to part with please email Baggywrinkle@hotmail.
        > thanks t.

      • capt.tilley
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@...> wrote:
          >Hey, thanks for that reply. I think I will order plans for Everhope.
          Just wrestling with messing with the plans or not. Really want to
          put shoals runner's stern on everhope with out messing up performance.
          That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
          I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
          high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
          Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
          surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

          > Being familiar with (and greatly missing) the waters in your area, I'd
          > tend to favor Everhope. Her hull form should provide an easier motion
          > in rough water. That, a few inches more freeboard, and the
          > characteristic Atkin flaring bows... Personally, I would just feel
          > safer and more comfortable in it, I think.
          >
          > True, the keel is just about twice as wide on Shoals Runner but
          > therein lies the age-old question. Consider also that the Everhope
          > will be worth twice as much- and prettier!
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello
          > > I have looked long and hard for a design that suits me. Everhope is so
          > > close. However for my area (s.oregon coast) I would like something
          > > that can take a beach launching and bar crossing a little better. I
          > > would like to extend the transom into a normandy transom like shoals
          > > runner. I have looked back in the archives a little and noticed Robb
          > > whites apprehension to messing with the tunnel. Any advice out there
          > > on this proposal. Some might say build shoals runner. I have
          > > wrestled with this. But everhope has a larger interior volume and
          > > breadth that I am looking for (though 6" less draft and an enclosed
          > > rudder are tempting).
          > >
          > > If anyone has plans for everhope or shoals runner (unbuilt of course)
          > > that they want to part with please email Baggywrinkle@hotmail.
          > > thanks t.

        • titanicslim
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@...> wrote:
            > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
            > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
            > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
            > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
            > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

            I hear what you're saying about that flat transom- that's why so many
            surf boats tend to be dories and double-enders of one sort or another.
            But I personally wouldn't be too concerned about this one. She will
            ride that stuff fairly high. Look at how much buoyancy you've got in
            those "butt cheeks", and the *initially* dry transom.

            You might want to try a curved, raking transom but not without drawing
            it in 3"-to-1' before the full-size lofting. I can't predict how much
            your mileage may vary, but that's my thinking on the subject.

            Darned if you haven't got me wanting to make one for myself!

            Davy
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
              Sounds like you're down in Port Orford. Say "hi" to Pat at Griff's for me!
              I used to eat at Pat and Jerry's Griff's in Winchester Bay a lot. The
              people who bought the Windy Bay Griff's are doing good, but Pat and Jerry
              still do fish a little bit better. :o)

              Don't worry about Everhope's transom stern, and don't mess with it by
              trying to add a Normand stern. They launched and landed Seabright skiffs
              on the New Jersey beaches in conditions at least as bad as anything you'll
              want to tackle at Port Orford. You don't really want to launch on a nasty
              day, do you? And with decent weather forecasts nowadays the chances of
              getting caught out are a lot less than they used to be.

              The "dories" they beach launch at Pacific City nowadays are wide transom
              skiffs, and they brag about how well they do. <g> Build Everhope (please!
              I want to see one in the flesh <g>) or Shoals Runner, but please don't try
              to make some morphodite by combining parts of the two.

              On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:08:05 -0800, capt.tilley wrote:

              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@...> wrote:
              >> Hey, thanks for that reply. I think I will order plans for Everhope.
              > Just wrestling with messing with the plans or not. Really want to
              > put shoals runner's stern on everhope with out messing up performance.
              > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
              > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
              > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
              > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
              > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

              Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
              sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>
            • capt.tilley
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                >Hey thanks for the wise words, john.

                Thats what I need, a little reassurance to keep myself from foly. Oh a
                tempting disease I have to make everything 'custom'. I'll say hi to
                Pat for ya.

                t.

                > Sounds like you're down in Port Orford. Say "hi" to Pat at Griff's
                for me!
                > I used to eat at Pat and Jerry's Griff's in Winchester Bay a lot. The
                > people who bought the Windy Bay Griff's are doing good, but Pat and
                Jerry
                > still do fish a little bit better. :o)
                >
                > Don't worry about Everhope's transom stern, and don't mess with it by
                > trying to add a Normand stern. They launched and landed Seabright
                skiffs
                > on the New Jersey beaches in conditions at least as bad as anything
                you'll
                > want to tackle at Port Orford. You don't really want to launch on a
                nasty
                > day, do you? And with decent weather forecasts nowadays the chances of
                > getting caught out are a lot less than they used to be.
                >
                > The "dories" they beach launch at Pacific City nowadays are wide
                transom
                > skiffs, and they brag about how well they do. <g> Build Everhope
                (please!
                > I want to see one in the flesh <g>) or Shoals Runner, but please
                don't try
                > to make some morphodite by combining parts of the two.
                >
                > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:08:05 -0800, capt.tilley wrote:
                >
                > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@> wrote:
                > >> Hey, thanks for that reply. I think I will order plans for Everhope.
                > > Just wrestling with messing with the plans or not. Really want to
                > > put shoals runner's stern on everhope with out messing up performance.
                > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
                > > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
                > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
                > > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
                > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.
                >
                > --
                > John <jkohnen@...>
                > Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
                > sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>

              • adharvey2
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2009
                  I just got my exhaust manifold for my Everhope today. Unfortunately
                  (or maybe fortunately), nobody makes a marine manifold for the
                  particular model of Kubota that I ended up with, so I'm going to have
                  to use something like the Rob White copper tubing method if I want to
                  cool it down any. At least this one only cost 40 bucks.

                  As for picking the design, my biggest problem with Everhope was that I
                  thought, initially, that it was a little cramped (by modern standards)
                  for a day fishing boat, but after mocking up the arrangement in the
                  shop I decided it was fine. What I believe will be the big advantage
                  of this design is the ability to use it on the unregulated mountain
                  lakes around here. In the spring and fall, or during a dry year, the
                  water is way down on the boat ramps, or below them all together, and
                  you're trying to launch in very shallow water. Anything with a
                  traditional deadwood, or even a moderate V, would be quite a bit
                  harder to get off the trailer.

                  Speaking of Rob White, I was looking at his web site and I got to
                  wondering about his construction method. I'm going to build my
                  Everhope using glued plywood planks. A really competent and thorough
                  "conversion" to modern construction would probably involve eliminating
                  the 38 bent ribs, and completely redesigning the interior and deck
                  structures using plywood bulkheads, stingers, fillets, and stuff like
                  that. That's certainly not for the likes of me. Besides, I don't mind
                  steam bending at all, I do it regularly in my shop for chair parts,
                  etc. And this way I won't have to "redesign" anything. And I think
                  having 19 frames plus about 10 molds to lay the planks on is going to
                  make keeping the planks fair pretty simple for even a first time
                  lapstraker like myself. Additionally, I can't think of another way to
                  support floor and deck beams, seats, etc. that wouldn't actually be
                  heavier than all those little 3/4" x 3/4" oak frames.

                  Which brings me back to Rob White. I notice that on all the round
                  bilge lapstrake boats in his photo galley, he used sawn frames. Now I
                  know that sawn frames are in someways stronger than bent frames, which
                  is why you can use fewer of them, but if Ian Oughtred is to be
                  believed, a glued lapstrake hull is so strong frames aren't usually
                  even required for strength on small boats. So I wondered why someone
                  with his regard for lightness and efficiency, and obviously more than
                  adequate skill, wouldn't prefer bent frames in a lightweight lapstrake
                  boat. Except now that I type this I think I have answered my own
                  question - Rob used solid wood planks, didn't he. Which means his laps
                  probably weren't glued. Which means he probably wanted the stiffer
                  sawn frames for shape retention. Well I'm not going to waste all this
                  typing so I'm sending this anyway.

                  Andrew Harvey

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1 10:42 AM
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:
                    >Hey. What kubota did you end up with and what are you going to do
                    about the tranny. I mailed off for everhope plans the other day. I
                    wont be able to start building until Sept or latter, but I will start
                    gathering supplies. I am thinking of strip planking the hull up to
                    the turn of the bilge then doing glued lapstrake ply on the top sides.
                    I have a glued lapstrake double paddle canoe (Piccalo By baker) that
                    I built about ten years ago. No frames. I have used it hard. It was a
                    tender for a little 26' sailboat I lived on for 8 years. It got banged
                    around left under docks... Lost it for three days in Baha and it went
                    up on the beach through 6-eight foot surf. You can see the sides flex
                    when you squish it between two boats or drop it on its gunwale, yet
                    the laps havent come apart at all. It seems very flexable but it
                    doesnt seem to hurt anything. Its stiff in the turn of the bilge and
                    flexy in the straight sections. t

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1 10:52 AM
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@...> wrote:
                      >Hey I like the curved transom idea. But why would you loft it at 3"
                      -1' first. I would have just lofted it (expansion?) on the lofting
                      floor. t.
                      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@> wrote:
                      > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy. Though
                      > > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
                      > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
                      > > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
                      > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

                      > I hear what you're saying about that flat transom- that's why so many
                      > surf boats tend to be dories and double-enders of one sort or another.
                      > But I personally wouldn't be too concerned about this one. She will
                      > ride that stuff fairly high. Look at how much buoyancy you've got in
                      > those "butt cheeks", and the *initially* dry transom.
                      >
                      > You might want to try a curved, raking transom but not without drawing
                      > it in 3"-to-1' before the full-size lofting. I can't predict how much
                      > your mileage may vary, but that's my thinking on the subject.
                      >
                      > Darned if you haven't got me wanting to make one for myself!
                      >
                      > Davy

                    • davy riggs
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2 6:57 AM
                        Hi, T

                        It's always a good idea to draw it on a table first.
                        You discover the designer's mistakes and get
                        familiarity with it whilst sitting down, rather than
                        on your old arthritic knees. In this specific case,
                        you'll want a good view of any changes you make in
                        three views, rather than deciding you don't like its
                        looks on the floor or, worse, on the setup.

                        --- "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@...> wrote:

                        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim"
                        > <titanicslim@...> wrote:
                        > >Hey I like the curved transom idea. But why would
                        > you loft it at 3"
                        > -1' first. I would have just lofted it (expansion?)
                        > on the lofting
                        > floor. t.
                        > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley"
                        > <capt.tilley@> wrote:
                        > > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems
                        > slappy and pushy. Though
                        > > > I could never beach launch everhope into
                        > anything bigger than waist
                        > > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you
                        > can drive down to.
                        > > > Its realitively protected but always has at
                        > least knee to thigh high
                        > > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.

                        > > I hear what you're saying about that flat transom-
                        > that's why so many
                        > > surf boats tend to be dories and double-enders of
                        > one sort or another.
                        > > But I personally wouldn't be too concerned about
                        > this one. She will
                        > > ride that stuff fairly high. Look at how much
                        > buoyancy you've got in
                        > > those "butt cheeks", and the *initially* dry
                        > transom.
                        > >
                        > > You might want to try a curved, raking transom but
                        > not without drawing
                        > > it in 3"-to-1' before the full-size lofting. I
                        > can't predict how much
                        > > your mileage may vary, but that's my thinking on
                        > the subject.
                        > >
                        > > Darned if you haven't got me wanting to make one
                        > for myself!
                        > >
                        > > Davy

                        A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience. - Doug Larson