MotorSkiff

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
      I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a few
      years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
      powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
      trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
      builders would be greatly appreciated
      thanks
      Dan and Hayden
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
        Thats a mighty big motor to be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed for
        small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen Too
        would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I think 8
        hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that matter...
        People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable boats!

        On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:

        > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a few
        > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
        > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
        > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
        > builders would be greatly appreciated
        > thanks

        A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
        a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>
      • Tom Hesselink
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
          Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
          design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
          to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
          electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
          of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
          the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.

          > Thats a mighty big motor to be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
          for
          > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
          Too
          > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
          think 8
          > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
          matter...
          > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
          boats!

          > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
          >
          > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
          few
          > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
          > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
          > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
          > > builders would be greatly appreciated
          > > thanks
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
          > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

        • DanielC
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
            a little later than we planned we are starting this week. Thanks for the input we are looking for a smaller motor now We were given the other one but lighter is better and we need the boat done for the first day of fishing season LOL

            Dan

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hesselink" <quietboats@...> wrote:

            > Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
            > design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
            > to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
            > electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
            > of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
            > the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thats a mighty big motor to
            be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
            > for
            > > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
            > Too
            > > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
            > think 8
            > > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
            > matter...
            > > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
            > boats!
            > >
            > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
            > >
            > > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
            > few
            > > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
            > > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
            > > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
            > > > builders would be greatly appreciated
            > > > thanks
            > >
            > > --
            > > John <jkohnen@>
            > > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
            > > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

          • John Campbell
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
              I'm building the Atkins designed "Victor Slocum" inboard skiff and plan to use the EVAmerica  A00-4009 DC motor (that runs on 24 - 72 VDC), Alltrax  AXE-4834 Controller (24 - 48 volt),  Pro-4 Joystick, Curtis enGage fuel & hour meter, ammeter, voltmeter, and various battery connectors, cable, etc.  I already have a new Lorain 48-volt battery charger (35 amp) and room in my boat at the Center of Balance for four T-1275 12-volt batteries (150 amphour, 82 lbs. each) so I am planning to eventually be running on 48 volts BUT initially I will be running on 24 VDC using only two of the batteries and charging them individually with a small cheap 12-volt charger to see if I like to run the boat at the lower voltage.

              John Campbell
              Belton, Texas
              254-939-7865
              a little later than we planned we are starting this week. Thanks for the input we are looking for a smaller motor now We were given the other one but lighter is better and we need the boat done for the first day of fishing season LOL

              Dan

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, "Tom Hesselink" <quietboats@ ...> wrote:

              > Dan, I'm gonna agree with John here. There is little hope of that
              > design planing so I'd guess that 1 HP electric is all you will need
              > to push to hull speed. I too have been looking at the MotoSkiff for
              > electric power--won't get to it for a while yet as there are plenty
              > of projects ahead on the list in need of a check mark. I wish you
              > the best with the boat. Keep us all informed of progress.
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thats a mighty big motor to
              be putting in MoToSkiff! She's designed
              > for
              > > small, light engines like the about 1 3/4 hp. B&S model A. Sixteen
              > Too
              > > would better handle the power, and the weight of the batteries. I
              > think 8
              > > hp. electric would be too much for Sixteen Too, too, for that
              > matter...
              > > People use electric motor that size for powering pretty sizeable
              > boats!
              > >
              > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 05:08:31 -0800, Dan wrote:
              > >
              > > > I dont think anyone has built one of these little guys in quite a
              > few
              > > > years My 8 year old son and I will be starting one soon we will be
              > > > powering it with am 8hp 48v electric motor. It will be used for
              > > > trolling for big trout here in Connecticut, any input from other
              > > > builders would be greatly appreciated
              > > > thanks
              > >
              > > --
              > > John <jkohnen@>
              > > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is
              > > a superstition. <Jose Bergamin>

            • Lloyd Sumpter
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi

                I'm looking at building a boat around my old 10 hp diesel, and I'm
                looking at several Atkins designs, including the Sixteen Too. But I have
                a question about the speeds mentioned in the "blurb":

                Considering the amount of rocker in the hull, and the fact the transom
                seems to be pretty much out of the water, I'd consider the design
                "displacement" (as opposed to semi-displacement or planing), which would
                restrict it to hull speed, which would be about 5 knots. But the blurb
                says it will go "10 to 11 mph", which is about 8.5 knots, or 160% of
                hull speed, with only 5 hp.

                Can someone who's actually built a Sixteen Too confirm the speeds it can
                achieve? Can you get substantially over hullspeed with under 10hp?

                druid
                http://www.bcboatnet.org