Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9 11:05 PM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
      wrote:

      > I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
      > didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
      > some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
      > exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
      > When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@> wrote:

      Yeah, I'm with you there...started out wanting a houseboat, then
      realised it would be a lot more useful if it could travel at 7 knots
      with small horsepower , and do coastal passages in safety and comfort.
      Oh,...and could sail.Couldn't find plans to suit, so just started
      building. Still only got a pencil sketch on a piece of ply (added).
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 10 11:28 PM
        I find Calson Hulls and Freeship programs to be good and lurning curve
        is not to bad for working on designs. One of the principles of
        sternwheels is the bigger the wheel the more efficent as long as it is
        not to big for the boat it is on. Larger wheels have a better angle
        entering and leaving the water so less energy is wasted and less drag.
        A V bow cuts through the water better and pushes debris in the water to
        the side as aposed to a scow plowing to some extent. My biggest want
        was room for a queen bed and room for family and friends and tankage
        for a couple weeks. I live about 100 RM up the Columbia in the NW US so
        a sternwheeler is a ideal boat and wont look like just another plastic
        boat. Down your way coastal cruseing is a way of life. Our choices will
        make us each happy. When some one builds a boat I think they need to
        decide what they want to use it for and in what kind of water then look
        to that end. I like a lot of Atkins designs but would like to see
        someone at some time redo them for modern methods materials and power
        plants. Opps blaspheme