Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/7215760270901439/
      > At the bow it is 90 degrees on the cut water wraping back to the
      > flaired side in 6' with the bottom at the bow having a pritty good
      > trist with slight V and the stern rolling up. It is cold molded
      from
      > two layers of 3/8" MDO set at right angles to each other. I don't
      > think I could have gotten the shape in the upright. For glassing
      > fairing and sanging with 10 Oz then 6 Oz. cloth turning was easyer
      > then working on the floor to get this finish.
      > Depending on the boat and what you want to do each boat has its way
      > of building to make it easiest. Did I mention the design is from
      > scrach and will have no through hulls below the water line. I do
      envy
      > the walk in aspect of what you are doing.
      >
      > Jon
      >

      > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
      you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
      the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
      project.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
        I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
        didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
        some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
        exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
        When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.

        Jon

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@...> wrote:

        > > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
        > you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
        > the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
        > project.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
          wrote:

          > I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
          > didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
          > some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
          > exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
          > When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.
          >
          > Jon
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@> wrote:

          Yeah, I'm with you there...started out wanting a houseboat, then
          realised it would be a lot more useful if it could travel at 7 knots
          with small horsepower , and do coastal passages in safety and comfort.
          Oh,...and could sail.Couldn't find plans to suit, so just started
          building. Still only got a pencil sketch on a piece of ply (added).
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2009
            I find Calson Hulls and Freeship programs to be good and lurning curve
            is not to bad for working on designs. One of the principles of
            sternwheels is the bigger the wheel the more efficent as long as it is
            not to big for the boat it is on. Larger wheels have a better angle
            entering and leaving the water so less energy is wasted and less drag.
            A V bow cuts through the water better and pushes debris in the water to
            the side as aposed to a scow plowing to some extent. My biggest want
            was room for a queen bed and room for family and friends and tankage
            for a couple weeks. I live about 100 RM up the Columbia in the NW US so
            a sternwheeler is a ideal boat and wont look like just another plastic
            boat. Down your way coastal cruseing is a way of life. Our choices will
            make us each happy. When some one builds a boat I think they need to
            decide what they want to use it for and in what kind of water then look
            to that end. I like a lot of Atkins designs but would like to see
            someone at some time redo them for modern methods materials and power
            plants. Opps blaspheme