Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8 10:32 PM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
      wrote:

      > Nice job on Extream Hope Steve. In the lady I am thinking twolayers
      > of 3/8" may be enough for the bottom cold molded with the sides 1/2"
      > deck 1/2" the cabin sides 3/8" and 1/2" cabbin top all depending on
      > stringer and frame spacing. Heavy glass the bottom and sides with 16-
      > 18Oz. of glass deck and cabbin top with 6 Oz. and cabbin sides with 3-
      > 3.5 Oz. I would do the hull upside down it makes cold molding and
      > glassing easyer.

      Well, just so you can see I know what I am talking about, I have added
      two pics of a 42ft flat bottomed motorsailer I am building ....upright.
      The bottom was glassed first and turned over. I needed no building
      frames or molds. The bottom was flexible enough to set the rocker in
      easily. The advantages of this method are 1./you don't have the expense
      and drama of turning a complete hull, and 2./most of the fitout can be
      done before the topsides or cabin sides go on. No climbing over the
      sides of the boat - just walk in and out. Topsides and chine get
      glassed later - no problem.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8 11:02 PM
        Looks like a good start and with the shape works pritty well.
        This little 32' hull is a little more complex with the tightness of
        curves so I built it upside down. The good photos of the turning
        party where taken by John Kohnen.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/7215760270901439/
        At the bow it is 90 degrees on the cut water wraping back to the
        flaired side in 6' with the bottom at the bow having a pritty good
        trist with slight V and the stern rolling up. It is cold molded from
        two layers of 3/8" MDO set at right angles to each other. I don't
        think I could have gotten the shape in the upright. For glassing
        fairing and sanging with 10 Oz then 6 Oz. cloth turning was easyer
        then working on the floor to get this finish.
        Depending on the boat and what you want to do each boat has its way
        of building to make it easiest. Did I mention the design is from
        scrach and will have no through hulls below the water line. I do envy
        the walk in aspect of what you are doing.

        Jon

        > Well, just so you can see I know what I am talking about, I have
        added
        > two pics of a 42ft flat bottomed motorsailer I am
        building ....upright.
        > The bottom was glassed first and turned over. I needed no building
        > frames or molds. The bottom was flexible enough to set the rocker
        in
        > easily. The advantages of this method are 1./you don't have the
        expense
        > and drama of turning a complete hull, and 2./most of the fitout can
        be
        > done before the topsides or cabin sides go on. No climbing over the
        > sides of the boat - just walk in and out. Topsides and chine get
        > glassed later - no problem.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 8 11:52 PM
          wrote:

          > Looks like a good start and with the shape works pritty well.
          > This little 32' hull is a little more complex with the tightness of
          > curves so I built it upside down. The good photos of the turning
          > party where taken by John Kohnen.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/7215760270901439/
          > At the bow it is 90 degrees on the cut water wraping back to the
          > flaired side in 6' with the bottom at the bow having a pritty good
          > trist with slight V and the stern rolling up. It is cold molded
          from
          > two layers of 3/8" MDO set at right angles to each other. I don't
          > think I could have gotten the shape in the upright. For glassing
          > fairing and sanging with 10 Oz then 6 Oz. cloth turning was easyer
          > then working on the floor to get this finish.
          > Depending on the boat and what you want to do each boat has its way
          > of building to make it easiest. Did I mention the design is from
          > scrach and will have no through hulls below the water line. I do
          envy
          > the walk in aspect of what you are doing.
          >
          > Jon
          >

          > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
          you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
          the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
          project.
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9 5:45 PM
            I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
            didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
            some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
            exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
            When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.

            Jon

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@...> wrote:

            > > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
            > you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
            > the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
            > project.

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9 11:05 PM
              wrote:

              > I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
              > didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
              > some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
              > exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
              > When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.
              >
              > Jon
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@> wrote:

              Yeah, I'm with you there...started out wanting a houseboat, then
              realised it would be a lot more useful if it could travel at 7 knots
              with small horsepower , and do coastal passages in safety and comfort.
              Oh,...and could sail.Couldn't find plans to suit, so just started
              building. Still only got a pencil sketch on a piece of ply (added).
            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 10 11:28 PM
                I find Calson Hulls and Freeship programs to be good and lurning curve
                is not to bad for working on designs. One of the principles of
                sternwheels is the bigger the wheel the more efficent as long as it is
                not to big for the boat it is on. Larger wheels have a better angle
                entering and leaving the water so less energy is wasted and less drag.
                A V bow cuts through the water better and pushes debris in the water to
                the side as aposed to a scow plowing to some extent. My biggest want
                was room for a queen bed and room for family and friends and tankage
                for a couple weeks. I live about 100 RM up the Columbia in the NW US so
                a sternwheeler is a ideal boat and wont look like just another plastic
                boat. Down your way coastal cruseing is a way of life. Our choices will
                make us each happy. When some one builds a boat I think they need to
                decide what they want to use it for and in what kind of water then look
                to that end. I like a lot of Atkins designs but would like to see
                someone at some time redo them for modern methods materials and power
                plants. Opps blaspheme