Re: [AtkinBoats] Robb White's Rescue Minor

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2004
      I must disagree with you. I think the stern treatment on Robb's Rescue Minor (very Chris Craft "Barrel-Back" inspired) looks very good indeed.

      From the lines plans alot of Atkin's designs look quite uninspiring But when seen in the "Flesh" so to speak they look remarkably good!

      Hugo Tyson, launceston, Tasmania, Australia.

      jkohnen@... wrote:
      There's a photo of Robb White's bastardization (his word for it) of Rescue
      Minor, and a link to some more photos:

      http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

      Sorry Robb, I don't like the stern treatment...

      Too long ago Richie Ledergerber sent me a CD with photos of his model of a
      Rescue Minor. I really will get some of them online real soon! Sorry Richie.
      How's the real Rescue Minor coming along?

      Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
      <H. W. Tilman>

      No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • John Ewing
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2004
        My vote's with you, Hugo. Barrel-backs are the bee's knees.

        John E. in Victoria, B.C.

        > I must disagree with you. I think the stern treatment on Robb's Rescue
        Minor (very Chris Craft "Barrel-Back" inspired) looks very good indeed.

        > From the lines plans alot of Atkin's designs look quite uninspiring But
        when seen in the "Flesh" so to speak they look remarkably good!

        > Hugo Tyson, launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
        >
        > jkohnen@... wrote:
        > There's a photo of Robb White's bastardization (his word for it) of Rescue
        > Minor, and a link to some more photos:
        >
        > http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html
        >
        > Sorry Robb, I don't like the stern treatment...
        >
        > Too long ago Richie Ledergerber sent me a CD with photos of his model of a
        > Rescue Minor. I really will get some of them online real soon! Sorry
        Richie.
        > How's the real Rescue Minor coming along?
        >
        > --
        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > http://www.boat-links.com/
        > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
        > <H. W. Tilman>

        polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Hugo Tyson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2004
          Thanks John,

          Its all personal taste, but I do think Robb has improved the asthetics of the Rescue Minor design by modifying the stern to a "Barrel-Back" shape. I don't think it would affect performance or capacity(Negatively) in any appreciable way and makes a fairly plain looking boat just that bit more visually exciting!

          John Ewing <john.ewing@...> wrote:
          My vote's with you, Hugo. Barrel-backs are the bee's knees.

          John E. in Victoria, B.C.

          > I must disagree with you. I think the stern treatment on Robb's Rescue
          Minor (very Chris Craft "Barrel-Back" inspired) looks very good indeed.

          > From the lines plans alot of Atkin's designs look quite uninspiring But
          when seen in the "Flesh" so to speak they look remarkably good!

          > Hugo Tyson, launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
          >
          > jkohnen@... wrote:
          > There's a photo of Robb White's bastardization (his word for it) of Rescue
          > Minor, and a link to some more photos:
          >
          > http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html
          >
          > Sorry Robb, I don't like the stern treatment...
          >
          > Too long ago Richie Ledergerber sent me a CD with photos of his model of a
          > Rescue Minor. I really will get some of them online real soon! Sorry
          Richie.
          > How's the real Rescue Minor coming along?
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > http://www.boat-links.com/
          > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
          > <H. W. Tilman>

          polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2004
            In a world of plastic mass produced homogenized boats
            it is nice to see a distinctive boat with individual
            style. If any of us ever saw Robb Whites's barrel
            back Rescue minor at a dock we would know the boat.

            It is like when Thespis stepped out of the Greek
            chorus and became the first actor (Thespian). Robb
            White stepped out of the bland crowd with a good sense
            of style and design.
            Lon

            Ol' man river, dat ol' man river,/ He must know
            sumpin', but don't say nothin',/ He just keeps
            rollin', he keeps on rollin' along.
            Oscar Hammerstein (1895 - 1960) US lyricist, musical
            comedy author
            From the musical "Show Boat.," "Ol' Man River."

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2004
              Well, I guess I stumbled on a way to get people to contribute to this list!
              ;o) It is my personal opinion, but I think Robb White's stern doesn't go
              well with the rest of the boat. I like barrel backs just fine, just not on a
              Rescue Minor. <g>

              The Atkins knew the good a bit of tumblehome aft did for the looks of a
              motorboat, and often added some to otherwise starkly simple designs with
              good effect. If you're not using plywood sheets for planking, it really
              shouldn't add much complication to the building. But Rescue Minor was
              designed for plywood construction, so Wm. used a straight-sided transom.
              It's not ugly, but it'd look better with some shape. Robb White just got a
              bit carried away! <g> Putting tumblehome into a stern on a fiberglass boat
              is troublesome and expensive, but I guess nowadays we're used to the boxy
              sterns on motorboats, and there's so much other ugliness in their designs
              that the sterns don't jump out at us...

              On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:30 +1000 (EST), Hugo wrote:
              > Its all personal taste, but I do think Robb has improved the asthetics of
              the Rescue Minor design by modifying the stern to a "Barrel-Back" shape. I
              don't think it would affect performance or capacity(Negatively) in any
              appreciable way and makes a fairly plain looking boat just that bit more
              visually exciting!

              Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
              they meet two conditions:
              1. He is a Greek
              2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>