RE: [AtkinBoats] RE: Gwen o' the River

  • David Calloway
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
      That is a very thoughtful and thorough answer. As a guy who is going to
      build an Atkins "MotoSkiff" with more modern materials, I think you were
      right on.

      David

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
        I should add to what I wrote in my previous post that the main reason
        Gwen is not a trailerable boat is due to the traditional planked wooden
        construction. Boats built in this fashion need to be kept in the water
        most of the time so that the planking does not dry out and open up the
        seams. The larger the timbers involved, the greater the potential
        movement. A newly launched boat of traditional construction may leak
        for a while until the planks swell and the seams close up. Taken out
        of the water for too long, and they may open back up.

        Bob
      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
          My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
          thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength. In
          the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
          lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates the
          water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and contraction. A
          good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
          recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
            The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners, by
            Dave Gerr.

            Gwen o' the River uses a frameless cross-planked bottom. On small boats I
            say just put plywood planking on with the sheets running crosswise, since
            bottom frames are a terrible thing in a small boat (in this I disagree
            with John Atkin), but on a boat the size of GotR I'd have to recommend
            full framing for plywood construction. So GotR would have to be
            reengineered for plywood planking and limited trailerability. Not a
            trivial task.

            On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:58:22 -0800, Vancouver Jon wrote:

            > My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
            > thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength. In
            > the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
            > lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates the
            > water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and contraction. A
            > good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
            > recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.

            Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
            Tilman>
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
              Well put, Bob. Thanks.

              On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:08:33 -0800, Bob J wrote:

              > You received a correct answer to your question. That is, as designed,
              > for traditional wooden boat construction, Gwen is not a "trailerable
              > boat". Can it be made so? Of course, but it would be up to the
              > BUILDER to insure that HIS construction is robust enough to stand up to
              > the rigors of what ever use he intends to put it, and to insure that HE
              > has the equipment and knowledge to safely do so.

              To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality
              in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. <George
              Santayana>
            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                The study plans that I have of Lady of the Lake off the net shows
                frames but not real clearly and 1-1/4"x6" Cypress planking. The
                differance in the two Ladies is small. Trailered boats need to be
                stiffer and stronger then nontrailered to hold up the road. In a boat
                this size with a understanding of ply on frame by some one with
                practical expereince conversion would not be hard but must be
                adequate to make the boat strong enough. Then again others would go
                stich and glue hmmmmmm.

                Jon

                > The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners,
                by
                > Dave Gerr.
                >
                > Gwen o' the River uses a frameless cross-planked bottom. On small
                boats I
                > say just put plywood planking on with the sheets running crosswise,
                since
                > bottom frames are a terrible thing in a small boat (in this I
                disagree
                > with John Atkin), but on a boat the size of GotR I'd have to
                recommend
                > full framing for plywood construction. So GotR would have to be
                > reengineered for plywood planking and limited trailerability. Not
                > trivial task.
                >
                > On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:58:22 -0800, Vancouver Jon wrote:
                >
                > > My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
                > > thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength.
                In
                > > the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
                > > lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates
                the
                > > water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and
                contraction. A
                > > good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
                > > recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.
                >
                > --
                > John <jkohnen@...>
                > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
                > Tilman>

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The study plans that I have of Lady of the Lake off the net shows
                  > frames but not real clearly and 1-1/4"x6" Cypress planking. The
                  > differance in the two Ladies is small. Trailered boats need to be
                  > stiffer and stronger then nontrailered to hold up the road. In a boat
                  > this size with a understanding of ply on frame by some one with
                  > practical expereince conversion would not be hard but must be
                  > adequate to make the boat strong enough. Then again others would go
                  > stich and glue hmmmmmm.
                  >
                  > Jon

                  Well, I am all for conversion to modern materils. They are lighter,
                  stronger and make the build quicker and easier. True "traditionalists "
                  will no doubt disagree with me, but I'm OK with that. The end result
                  looks just like the original, but will most likely perform better and
                  require less maintenance.

                  FYI, the extended "Hope" in my photos has a 1/2" sheet ply bottom and
                  two layers of 3/16" ply laid double diagonally on the topsides. The
                  frames are 3" x 3/4", and the stringers are 1" x 3/4". There are also
                  two floor height girders (1/2" ply)running nearly the full length of
                  the boat.

                  For "Lady of the Lake", I would suggest 2 x 1/2" ply for the bottom and
                  single 1/2" topsides. This boat could easily be built upright..
                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Nice job on Extream Hope Steve. In the lady I am thinking twolayers
                    of 3/8" may be enough for the bottom cold molded with the sides 1/2"
                    deck 1/2" the cabin sides 3/8" and 1/2" cabbin top all depending on
                    stringer and frame spacing. Heavy glass the bottom and sides with 16-
                    18Oz. of glass deck and cabbin top with 6 Oz. and cabbin sides with 3-
                    3.5 Oz. I would do the hull upside down it makes cold molding and
                    glassing easyer. --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve"

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
                      wrote:

                      > Nice job on Extream Hope Steve. In the lady I am thinking twolayers
                      > of 3/8" may be enough for the bottom cold molded with the sides 1/2"
                      > deck 1/2" the cabin sides 3/8" and 1/2" cabbin top all depending on
                      > stringer and frame spacing. Heavy glass the bottom and sides with 16-
                      > 18Oz. of glass deck and cabbin top with 6 Oz. and cabbin sides with 3-
                      > 3.5 Oz. I would do the hull upside down it makes cold molding and
                      > glassing easyer.

                      Well, just so you can see I know what I am talking about, I have added
                      two pics of a 42ft flat bottomed motorsailer I am building ....upright.
                      The bottom was glassed first and turned over. I needed no building
                      frames or molds. The bottom was flexible enough to set the rocker in
                      easily. The advantages of this method are 1./you don't have the expense
                      and drama of turning a complete hull, and 2./most of the fitout can be
                      done before the topsides or cabin sides go on. No climbing over the
                      sides of the boat - just walk in and out. Topsides and chine get
                      glassed later - no problem.
                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
                        Looks like a good start and with the shape works pritty well.
                        This little 32' hull is a little more complex with the tightness of
                        curves so I built it upside down. The good photos of the turning
                        party where taken by John Kohnen.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/7215760270901439/
                        At the bow it is 90 degrees on the cut water wraping back to the
                        flaired side in 6' with the bottom at the bow having a pritty good
                        trist with slight V and the stern rolling up. It is cold molded from
                        two layers of 3/8" MDO set at right angles to each other. I don't
                        think I could have gotten the shape in the upright. For glassing
                        fairing and sanging with 10 Oz then 6 Oz. cloth turning was easyer
                        then working on the floor to get this finish.
                        Depending on the boat and what you want to do each boat has its way
                        of building to make it easiest. Did I mention the design is from
                        scrach and will have no through hulls below the water line. I do envy
                        the walk in aspect of what you are doing.

                        Jon

                        > Well, just so you can see I know what I am talking about, I have
                        added
                        > two pics of a 42ft flat bottomed motorsailer I am
                        building ....upright.
                        > The bottom was glassed first and turned over. I needed no building
                        > frames or molds. The bottom was flexible enough to set the rocker
                        in
                        > easily. The advantages of this method are 1./you don't have the
                        expense
                        > and drama of turning a complete hull, and 2./most of the fitout can
                        be
                        > done before the topsides or cabin sides go on. No climbing over the
                        > sides of the boat - just walk in and out. Topsides and chine get
                        > glassed later - no problem.

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2009
                          wrote:

                          > Looks like a good start and with the shape works pritty well.
                          > This little 32' hull is a little more complex with the tightness of
                          > curves so I built it upside down. The good photos of the turning
                          > party where taken by John Kohnen.

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/7215760270901439/
                          > At the bow it is 90 degrees on the cut water wraping back to the
                          > flaired side in 6' with the bottom at the bow having a pritty good
                          > trist with slight V and the stern rolling up. It is cold molded
                          from
                          > two layers of 3/8" MDO set at right angles to each other. I don't
                          > think I could have gotten the shape in the upright. For glassing
                          > fairing and sanging with 10 Oz then 6 Oz. cloth turning was easyer
                          > then working on the floor to get this finish.
                          > Depending on the boat and what you want to do each boat has its way
                          > of building to make it easiest. Did I mention the design is from
                          > scrach and will have no through hulls below the water line. I do
                          envy
                          > the walk in aspect of what you are doing.
                          >
                          > Jon
                          >

                          > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
                          you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
                          the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
                          project.
                        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                            I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
                            didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
                            some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
                            exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
                            When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.

                            Jon

                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@...> wrote:

                            > > Ok, I see what you are doing - looks good. I got confused, thought
                            > you wanted to build a "Gwen" or "Lady of the Lake" which would suit
                            > the upright construction method. Have posted some updated pics of my
                            > project.

                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 9, 2009
                              wrote:

                              > I looked at all three of the Atkins sternwheeler designs but they
                              > didn't offer what I wanted. I looked at all kinds of house boats and
                              > some where close but just not right. Then I spent a year and a half
                              > exploreing old and new sternwheelers and started designing my owen.
                              > When it comes to this thread I like you are just tossing out thoughts.
                              >
                              > Jon
                              >
                              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <classiccraft@> wrote:

                              Yeah, I'm with you there...started out wanting a houseboat, then
                              realised it would be a lot more useful if it could travel at 7 knots
                              with small horsepower , and do coastal passages in safety and comfort.
                              Oh,...and could sail.Couldn't find plans to suit, so just started
                              building. Still only got a pencil sketch on a piece of ply (added).
                            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 10, 2009
                                I find Calson Hulls and Freeship programs to be good and lurning curve
                                is not to bad for working on designs. One of the principles of
                                sternwheels is the bigger the wheel the more efficent as long as it is
                                not to big for the boat it is on. Larger wheels have a better angle
                                entering and leaving the water so less energy is wasted and less drag.
                                A V bow cuts through the water better and pushes debris in the water to
                                the side as aposed to a scow plowing to some extent. My biggest want
                                was room for a queen bed and room for family and friends and tankage
                                for a couple weeks. I live about 100 RM up the Columbia in the NW US so
                                a sternwheeler is a ideal boat and wont look like just another plastic
                                boat. Down your way coastal cruseing is a way of life. Our choices will
                                make us each happy. When some one builds a boat I think they need to
                                decide what they want to use it for and in what kind of water then look
                                to that end. I like a lot of Atkins designs but would like to see
                                someone at some time redo them for modern methods materials and power
                                plants. Opps blaspheme

                                Jon