Re: [AtkinBoats] "Joan" at Cowachin Bay

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      I saw Sweet Pea back in October, but I couldn't get a good photo of her.
      I'd appreciate any better shots you get from Suzan:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/Joan/

      The placard near her said she was built about 1962.

      The Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre is a great place. Well worth a stop if
      you're in the area:

      http://www.classicboats.org/

      Are you going to put a plywood bottom on your Willy Winship?

      On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:36:06 -0800, pdcarroll wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I thought some of you might be interested to know that there is a Joan
      > at Cowachin Bay Maritime Centre. Her name is Sweet Pea. Suzan, the
      > exec. director of the facility was kind enough to e-mail some pics and
      > a short write up. I'll try to get them posted asap.
      >
      > This boat has been modified for the light wind conditions of the area
      > with the addition of a bowsprit and jib turning her into a regular
      > double headed sloop. A boomkin was added so a backstay could be used.
      > She is cedar planked on white oak with teak over ply decking. Her
      > original build is thought to have been about 1946. I will try to get
      > more info on her sailing characteristics.
      >
      > Long term I am looking at building a Joan or Little Dipper as these
      > designs most closely match my needs and likes. Short term I am clearing
      > out a space to do Willy Winship. Any input or opinions you have are
      > welcome. Thanks

      School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
      human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
      new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
      and common decency. <H. L. Mencken>
    • pdcarroll@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
        Hello John,

        Sorry about the delay in answering, I have posted some of the pictures
        of Sweet Pea and am awaiting further info from Ian at Cowachin Bay
        about her characteristics and modifications from the original plans.
        The build date of around 1946 was included in a write up I recieved
        that also gave her construction as being cedar on oak frames. Hopefully
        other details will follow.

        Is anyone aware of another Joan or Little Dipper around. The only info
        I could find online about a Little Dipper was a short write up of two
        built in Austrailia years ago.
      • pipercubdream@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
          Hi, any info you may have found concerning Little Dipper I would be
          interested in seeing as well. The pictures of the Joan are great. Any other
          pictures and information concerning modifications will be much appreciated.

          Thanks.....Ben

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
            Where did you post the pictures of Sweet Pea?

            On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:31:09 -0800, pdcarroll@... wrote:

            > Hello John,
            >
            > Sorry about the delay in answering, I have posted some of the pictures
            > of Sweet Pea and am awaiting further info from Ian at Cowachin Bay
            > about her characteristics and modifications from the original plans.
            > The build date of around 1946 was included in a write up I recieved
            > that also gave her construction as being cedar on oak frames. Hopefully
            > other details will follow.

            To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality
            in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. <George
            Santayana>
          • pdcarroll@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
              I posted them in the photo albums under the heading Sweet Pea.