"Joan" at Cowachin Bay

  • pdcarroll@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2009
      Hello all,

      I thought some of you might be interested to know that there is a Joan
      at Cowachin Bay Maritime Centre. Her name is Sweet Pea. Suzan, the
      exec. director of the facility was kind enough to e-mail some pics and
      a short write up. I'll try to get them posted asap.

      This boat has been modified for the light wind conditions of the area
      with the addition of a bowsprit and jib turning her into a regular
      double headed sloop. A boomkin was added so a backstay could be used.
      She is cedar planked on white oak with teak over ply decking. Her
      original build is thought to have been about 1946. I will try to get
      more info on her sailing characteristics.

      Long term I am looking at building a Joan or Little Dipper as these
      designs most closely match my needs and likes. Short term I am clearing
      out a space to do Willy Winship. Any input or opinions you have are
      welcome. Thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        I saw Sweet Pea back in October, but I couldn't get a good photo of her.
        I'd appreciate any better shots you get from Suzan:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/Joan/

        The placard near her said she was built about 1962.

        The Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre is a great place. Well worth a stop if
        you're in the area:

        http://www.classicboats.org/

        Are you going to put a plywood bottom on your Willy Winship?

        On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:36:06 -0800, pdcarroll wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I thought some of you might be interested to know that there is a Joan
        > at Cowachin Bay Maritime Centre. Her name is Sweet Pea. Suzan, the
        > exec. director of the facility was kind enough to e-mail some pics and
        > a short write up. I'll try to get them posted asap.
        >
        > This boat has been modified for the light wind conditions of the area
        > with the addition of a bowsprit and jib turning her into a regular
        > double headed sloop. A boomkin was added so a backstay could be used.
        > She is cedar planked on white oak with teak over ply decking. Her
        > original build is thought to have been about 1946. I will try to get
        > more info on her sailing characteristics.
        >
        > Long term I am looking at building a Joan or Little Dipper as these
        > designs most closely match my needs and likes. Short term I am clearing
        > out a space to do Willy Winship. Any input or opinions you have are
        > welcome. Thanks

        School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
        human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
        new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
        and common decency. <H. L. Mencken>
      • pdcarroll@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
          Hello John,

          Sorry about the delay in answering, I have posted some of the pictures
          of Sweet Pea and am awaiting further info from Ian at Cowachin Bay
          about her characteristics and modifications from the original plans.
          The build date of around 1946 was included in a write up I recieved
          that also gave her construction as being cedar on oak frames. Hopefully
          other details will follow.

          Is anyone aware of another Joan or Little Dipper around. The only info
          I could find online about a Little Dipper was a short write up of two
          built in Austrailia years ago.
        • pipercubdream@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hi, any info you may have found concerning Little Dipper I would be
            interested in seeing as well. The pictures of the Joan are great. Any other
            pictures and information concerning modifications will be much appreciated.

            Thanks.....Ben

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
              Where did you post the pictures of Sweet Pea?

              On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:31:09 -0800, pdcarroll@... wrote:

              > Hello John,
              >
              > Sorry about the delay in answering, I have posted some of the pictures
              > of Sweet Pea and am awaiting further info from Ian at Cowachin Bay
              > about her characteristics and modifications from the original plans.
              > The build date of around 1946 was included in a write up I recieved
              > that also gave her construction as being cedar on oak frames. Hopefully
              > other details will follow.

              To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality
              in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. <George
              Santayana>
            • pdcarroll@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
                I posted them in the photo albums under the heading Sweet Pea.