sternwheeler

  • my48cj2a
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2008
      Who has plans for a trailerable sternwheeler. Can a Atkins
      sternwheeler be made of trailerable size?
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
        The Atkin lady series sternwheelers are all under 10' so can be
        trailored in most places with a oversize sign and oversize permit for
        most roads. On the West coast one permit is good in 11 Western states.
        Check with the DMV web sight for your area.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
          wrote:

          > The Atkin lady series sternwheelers are all under 10' so can be
          > trailored in most places with a oversize sign and oversize permit for
          > most roads. On the West coast one permit is good in 11 Western
          states.
          > Check with the DMV web sight for your area.
          >
          > Jon
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "my48cj2a" <my48cj2a@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Who has plans for a trailerable sternwheeler. Can a Atkins
          > > sternwheeler be made of trailerable size?

          Atkins said you cannot trailer a ladyseries boat.
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
            Why and where are you at.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
              wrote:

              > Why and where are you at.
              >
              > Jon

              > > Atkins said you cannot trailer a ladyseries boat.

              Palm Bay Fla. I E-Mailed the Atkins website and they told me they
              were not for trailering. I think they pretty much blew me off and
              quit talking to me about it. I wanted to build a small sternwheeler
              That was shallow running around 22x8 feet. There are not any around
              here on the intercostal waterway. When a hurricane comes I would like
              to move it.
            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
                I can see when it was desinged that it would be hard to trailer at that
                time. Now adays with over size permits and a good trailer it shouldn't
                be a problem. A lot bigger boats then these are moved all the time.
                Some things may need to be planed for when it comes to hight on trailer
                and support of stern or wheel but that still should not keep it from
                being trailered. The real question is if it can't be trailered how
                would the average person not liveing on the water get it to the water.
                With a will there is a way.

                Jon

                > Palm Bay Fla. I E-Mailed the Atkins website and they told me they
                > were not for trailering. I think they pretty much blew me off and
                > quit talking to me about it. I wanted to build a small sternwheeler
                > That was shallow running around 22x8 feet. There are not any around
                > here on the intercostal waterway. When a hurricane comes I would like
                > to move it.

              • my48cj2a
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
                  wrote:

                  > I can see when it was desinged that it would be hard to trailer at
                  that
                  > time. Now adays with over size permits and a good trailer it
                  shouldn't
                  > be a problem. A lot bigger boats then these are moved all the time.
                  > Some things may need to be planed for when it comes to hight on
                  trailer
                  > and support of stern or wheel but that still should not keep it
                  from
                  > being trailered. The real question is if it can't be trailered how
                  > would the average person not liveing on the water get it to the
                  water.
                  > With a will there is a way.
                  >
                  > Jon
                  >

                  > > Palm Bay Fla. I E-Mailed the Atkins website and they told me they
                  > > were not for trailering. I think they pretty much blew me off and
                  > > quit talking to me about it. I wanted to build a small
                  sternwheeler
                  > > That was shallow running around 22x8 feet. There are not any
                  around
                  > > here on the intercostal waterway. When a hurricane comes I would
                  like
                  > > to move it.

                  Seems like someone could have come up with a set of plans on the net
                  buy now.A weekender for two and possibly a grandchild.Or plans for a
                  sternwheel drive unit(I guess it is called that)I saw a nice electric
                  one on youtube.It looked like a small landing craft.Maybe 22 feet
                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Having resurched sternwheelers for a long time and then just designing
                    my owen hull and having gotten started I can tell you part of the why.
                    For a good hull you need the length to be 4 times or more then the
                    width to perform very well pluss wheel arms and wheel. To get a width
                    to accomidate comfort and needs it makes 28' about a minumum in length
                    and still wide enough for stability. THese sights may offer some info
                    on sternwheelers.
                    http://users.wirefire.com/gemort/contents.htm
                    http://www.americansternwheel.org/main.htm
                    My little project:
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709014393/
                    This will have a lot more time in it then you may want to spend.

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009

                      /
                      > This will have a lot more time in it then you may want to spend.
                      >
                      > Jon
                      >

                      > > Seems like someone could have come up with a set of plans on the
                      net
                      > > buy now.A weekender for two and possibly a grandchild.Or plans
                      for a
                      > > sternwheel drive unit(I guess it is called that)I saw a nice
                      electric
                      > > one on youtube.It looked like a small landing craft.Maybe 22 feet

                      The last picture was taken June of 2007.Hows it coming along?
                      Thanks for the great site info.
                    • Michael Walther
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
                        Hi, Just thought to add this idea to the mix. Instead of wheel arms, one might use chain & sprocket (newer tech) as in motor cycle. When I was a kid, I had an old three speed bike with a chain guard that covered the whole mechanism, I guess that helped keep out the elements as well as for safety. Thanks, Mike

                        > Having resurched sternwheelers for a long time and then just
                        > designing
                        > my owen hull and having gotten started I can tell you part
                        > of the why.
                        > For a good hull you need the length to be 4 times or more
                        > then the
                        > width to perform very well pluss wheel arms and wheel. To
                        > get a width
                        > to accomidate comfort and needs it makes 28' about a
                        > minumum in length
                        > and still wide enough for stability. THese sights may offer
                        > some info
                        > on sternwheelers.
                        > http://users.wirefire.com/gemort/contents.htm
                        > http://www.americansternwheel.org/main.htm
                        > My little project:
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709014393/
                        > This will have a lot more time in it then you may want to
                        > spend.
                        >
                        > Jon
                        >

                        > > Seems like someone could have come up with a set of
                        > plans on the net
                        > > buy now.A weekender for two and possibly a
                        > grandchild.Or plans for a
                        > > sternwheel drive unit(I guess it is called that)I saw
                        > a nice electric
                        > > one on youtube.It looked like a small landing
                        > craft.Maybe 22 feet
                        > >

                        > ------------------------------------
                        >
                        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
                        > Please be polite.
                        >
                        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
                        > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
                        > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
                        > performance of the resulting boat.

                        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Michael Walther
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
                          Hi Again, Now, that I've looked @ the links, I see my idea will work. God knows I love feeling like the complete fool. Thanks, Mike

                          > > Having resurched sternwheelers for a long time and
                          > then just
                          > designing
                          > > my owen hull and having gotten started I can tell you
                          > part of the
                          > why.
                          > > For a good hull you need the length to be 4 times or
                          > more then the
                          > > width to perform very well pluss wheel arms and wheel.
                          > To get a
                          > width
                          > > to accomidate comfort and needs it makes 28' about
                          > a minumum in
                          > length
                          > > and still wide enough for stability. THese sights may
                          > offer some
                          > info
                          > > on sternwheelers.
                          > > http://users.wirefire.com/gemort/contents.htm
                          > > http://www.americansternwheel.org/main.htm
                          > > My little project:
                          > >
                          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jons_boat_building/sets/72157602709014393
                          > /
                          > > This will have a lot more time in it then you may want
                          > to spend.
                          > >
                          > > Jon
                          > >

                          > > > Seems like someone could have come up with a set
                          > of plans on the
                          > net
                          > > > buy now.A weekender for two and possibly a
                          > grandchild.Or plans
                          > for a
                          > > > sternwheel drive unit(I guess it is called that)I
                          > saw a nice
                          > electric
                          > > > one on youtube.It looked like a small landing
                          > craft.Maybe 22 feet
                          > > >

                          > The last picture was taken June of 2007.Hows it coming
                          > along?
                          > Thanks for the great site info.
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------
                          >
                          > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
                          > Please be polite.
                          >
                          > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
                          > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
                          > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
                          > performance of the resulting boat.

                          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 7, 2009
                            The wheel arms are what the wheel shaft bearings set on. Most modern
                            drives in all the links posted are pully to jackshaft then chain to the
                            wheel. Many with a oil bath chain reduction transfer case in the
                            system. Chains take a beating and belts save drive trains when the
                            wheel gets fouled by a snag. Take a closer look in the links at what is
                            being done and info on systems.

                            Jon

                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>