Ninigret

  • scottdc555
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 18, 2008
      I just received my plans for Ninigret, a 22 foot fishing boat, with
      outboard. I have built kayaks, but this is my first boat, so I would
      welcome any suggestions from someone who had built one before.
      Especially in regards to lofting. My present experience level puts me
      in the "a little knowledge is dangerous" category. Regards, Scott
    • Jeff Ward
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 27, 2008
        About 2 years ago I purchased a Ninigret from Tony Bries who previouly
        operated Freedom Boatworks in Baraboo,WI. He built 5 Ninigrets from
        1995-1999 and might be able to be a resource for your project.

        He kept the first boat "Babe" and our "Fair Isle" is #5 of his series.
        Both were powered by Merc 25 hp 4-stoke motors; they're pictured on the
        Atkin website's Ninigret photo section.
        Some additional photos can be seen of ours on the WoodenBoat Forum.

        http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?
        t=69647&highlight=ninigret

        Best regards,
        Jeff
      • Frank McLaurin
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 30, 2010
          I have just ordered a set of plans for the Ninigret.  I was wondering if ther were any completed or being build Ninigrets in the NC, SC, or VA. area?

          If anyone has any tips or suggestions on these boats, I would appreciate any assistance.

          Thanks-

          Frank McLaurin

        • David Michael
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31, 2010
            Good morning Frank,

            I do not know if there are any builds on that plan, but I was considering an Atkin plan myself.  What area are you in?  Im near Lake Norman in NC, close to Charlotte.  I'd like to pick your brain about the plans and build process when you get a little deeper in, may help me make some decisions.

            Thanks,
            David

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 31, 2010
              Frank,

              Have you seen the 2011 WoodenBoat "Small Boats" special that is on
              store shelves now? Ninigret is one of the featured designs. Young
              boatbuilder Timm Schlieff, over in WV, has built both a Rescue Minor
              and a Ninigret, which were featured in WoodenBoat issue 215,
              July/August 2010. I believe that Timm is active on the WoodenBoat
              magazine online Forum, which in any case is a good resource for any
              boatbuilder.

              Bob

              > Message
              > _
              > 1a. Ninigret
              > Posted by: "Frank McLaurin" breakersb10@... breakersb10
              > Date: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 am ((PST))
              >
              > I have just ordered a set of plans for the Ninigret.  I was wondering
              > if ther were any completed or being build Ninigrets in the NC, SC, or
              > VA. area?
              >
              > If anyone has any tips or suggestions on these boats, I would
              > appreciate any assistance.
              >
              > Thanks-
              >
              > Frank McLaurin
              > Breakersb10@...

            • Frank McLaurin
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 31, 2010
                Thanks for the reply.  Actally, the "Small Boats" is where I saw Ninigret.  I have had plans to build a Simmons Sea Skiff for a couple of years.  My father and I visited Mr. Simmons in his shop in the early 70's, and being from NC it seemed like the boat to build.  After seeing Ninigret in "Small Boat" on Thursday I changed my mind and ordered the plans.

                I am currently building a "Lady Bug 18" and as soon as she is completed I will start on the Ninigret.

                Thanks again-

                Frank

                Have you seen the 2011 WoodenBoat "Small Boats" special that is on
                store shelves now? Ninigret is one of the featured designs. Young
                boatbuilder Timm Schlieff, over in WV, has built both a Rescue Minor
                and a Ninigret, which were featured in WoodenBoat issue 215,
                July/August 2010. I believe that Timm is active on the WoodenBoat
                magazine online Forum, which in any case is a good resource for any
                boatbuilder.

                Bob

                > Message
                > _
                > 1a. Ninigret
                > Posted by: "Frank McLaurin" breakersb10@... breakersb10
                > Date: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 am ((PST))
                >
                > I have just ordered a set of plans for the Ninigret.  I was wondering
                > if ther were any completed or being build Ninigrets in
                the NC, SC, or
                > VA. area?
                >
                > If anyone has any tips or suggestions on these boats, I would
                > appreciate any assistance.
                >
                > Thanks-
                >
                > Frank McLaurin
                > Breakersb10@...

              • Frank McLaurin
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 31, 2010
                  David-

                  I am located just south of Raleigh.  I am currenlty completing a smaller open skiff, but as soon as she is completed I plan to start the Ninigret.

                  I will let you know.

                • jim.bagley@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 16, 2011
                    Sorry to drag up an old post but I am new here and its about a boat I have thought about a lot and the post did not seem to result in much information coming forward. I think if everyone who fell in love with Ninigret and wanted their own, actually built one then Ninigrets would be bumping up against each other in every harbour. I wonder why there are so few. Does any one have an estimate of what the material costs would be? What building method would you use? What materials etc.
                    I do so much want to build a Ninigret but it might be biting off more than I can chew. Anyone with an idea of the scope of the build? How many partially built Ninigrets are out there owned by the builders widow/ widower. I need to be sure I can finish it in my time.
                    Jim
                  • John Almberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 16, 2011
                      jim.bagley@... wrote:

                      Sorry to drag up an old post but I am new here and its about a boat I have thought about a lot and the post did not seem to result in much information coming forward. I think if everyone who fell in love with Ninigret and wanted their own, actually built one then Ninigrets would be bumping up against each other in every harbour. I wonder why there are so few. Does any one have an estimate of what the material costs would be? What building method would you use? What materials etc.
                      I do so much want to build a Ninigret but it might be biting off more than I can chew. Anyone with an idea of the scope of the build? How many partially built Ninigrets are out there owned by the builders widow/ widower. I need to be sure I can finish it in my time.

                      You could as well ask why are there so few wooden boats. The answer is, I think, that most people think they are too much trouble. Most of us on this list disagree!

                      There have been a number of Ninigrets built lately. The best thing would be too google their builders and call them up for a chat. Most builders love to talk about their work and can give you lots of specific information, although I'd take time & money estimates with a grain of salt. That's going to vary a lot with the materials used and the builder's expertise.

                      Suffice to say it's going to cost a lot of time and money to build. Wood is expensive, and time even more so. The good news is, you don't have to plunk down all the money at once. You can buy the material as you need it and spread the cost over a couple of years (probably how long it would take to build, unless you are a full-timer.)

                      If you think she might be more than you can chew, she probably is. If its your first build, you might want to start with something smaller, like a dingy for her. Something that is as close to Ninigret's style as possible, so you get the hang of the techniques.

                      I don't think there is a small V-bottom skiff in the Atkin catalog, so you might look at something like Cabin Boy (my favorite). A dink is always good to have, anyway, and you get to make beginner mistakes on something relatively inexpensive.

                      If it were me, I'd build Ninigret in glued lapstrake with the best possible marine plywood.

                      Hope that helps!

                      -- John
                    • Tiernan Roe
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
                        Hi Jim,
                        You'll need 21 sheets of 3/8" ply that allows for no mistakes but does include wastage. I can't remember off hand how much oak and spruce you'll need. I used western red cedar as clear spruce was unavailable.
                        I also used 30kg of epoxy in the build for all gluing, and three coats through out. 2 gallons of undercoat paint to paint the inside and deck. half gallon of topcoat for the decks and cockpit, A quarter gallon of undercoat for topsides of hull and a quarter gallon topcoat. 2-3 lbs of 1.5" SiBr ring nails and 1lb of 7/8". plus other misc. fasteners.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Tiernan Roe
                        Roeboats.com
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Almberg <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                        > jim.bagley@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Sorry to drag up an old post but I am new here and its about a boat I
                        > > have thought about a lot and the post did not seem to result in much
                        > > information coming forward. I think if everyone who fell in love with
                        > > Ninigret and wanted their own, actually built one then Ninigrets would
                        > > be bumping up against each other in every harbour. I wonder why there
                        > > are so few. Does any one have an estimate of what the material costs
                        > > would be? What building method would you use? What materials etc.
                        > > I do so much want to build a Ninigret but it might be biting off more
                        > > than I can chew. Anyone with an idea of the scope of the build? How
                        > > many partially built Ninigrets are out there owned by the builders
                        > > widow/ widower. I need to be sure I can finish it in my time.
                        > >
                        > You could as well ask why are there so few wooden boats. The answer is,
                        > I think, that most people think they are too much trouble. Most of us on
                        > this list disagree!
                        >
                        > There have been a number of Ninigrets built lately. The best thing would
                        > be too google their builders and call them up for a chat. Most builders
                        > love to talk about their work and can give you lots of specific
                        > information, although I'd take time & money estimates with a grain of
                        > salt. That's going to vary a lot with the materials used and the
                        > builder's expertise.
                        >
                        > Suffice to say it's going to cost a lot of time and money to build. Wood
                        > is expensive, and time even more so. The good news is, you don't have to
                        > plunk down all the money at once. You can buy the material as you need
                        > it and spread the cost over a couple of years (probably how long it
                        > would take to build, unless you are a full-timer.)
                        >
                        > If you think she might be more than you can chew, she probably is. If
                        > its your first build, you might want to start with something smaller,
                        > like a dingy for her. Something that is as close to Ninigret's style as
                        > possible, so you get the hang of the techniques.
                        >
                        > I don't think there is a small V-bottom skiff in the Atkin catalog, so
                        > you might look at something like Cabin Boy (my favorite). A dink is
                        > always good to have, anyway, and you get to make beginner mistakes on
                        > something relatively inexpensive.
                        >
                        > If it were me, I'd build Ninigret in glued lapstrake with the best
                        > possible marine plywood.
                        >
                        > Hope that helps!
                        >
                        > -- John

                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
                          I saw this thread so I posted 3 photos under Ninigret that I don't think are very available. I really love this boat or maybe the Blackbird.....sssshhhhh Ididn't say that............Calfee
                        • Stephen Paul
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 18, 2011
                            Great pics and you do gorgeous work Mr Roe.

                            I'm pretty committed to building a Ninigret as well, so thanks for all the comments.

                            Steve

                            Steve Paul

                            206-683-2961

                            Notes From the Job Search

                            www.linkedin.com/in/StephenMPaul

                            To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
                            From: calfee20@...
                            Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 03:36:40 +0000

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 18, 2011
                              What a great forum this is. I ask a question about Ninigret and get an answer from Tiernan Roe, the world famous builder of Ninigrets. Thanks Tiernan for the info. Kind of like an ice-cold shower of reality thou. 21 sheets! It must be double planked. Actually the plywood was not my major concern, it was the huge amount of internal structural wood that is required in a Ninigret. (and the back garage wall that would have to be removed) You mentioned the alternative of using clear spruce, and that is very interesting. Here in Ontario, spruce is very plentiful and very cheap and mostly used for studs and plank to frame houses but is also pressure treated to build exterior decks. It is very strong but it is not used as exterior wood unless pressure treated. Pressure treated has fallen out of favour in the finer homes and gardens so cedar prices are going up to very close to oak. I suppose it is the same all the world over. However the new Pressure treated is non -toxic. Why would that not work for the internal hidden structural. Plus if I screwed up on a piece I could just throw it in the " to be used for something else" pile and do it over. This is more feasible.
                              That green and white Ninigret that you built is really a beautiful boat, anyone would be proud to own. I hope that you build a lot more of them. Some of my ancestors came from County Cork. I have wondered why after they had suffered their first spring here still covered in snow until April why they did not pick up and go back to the green. I hope that you enjoyed some green liquid yesterday, all I got was green cake.
                              I will purchase the drawings of Ninigret, thanks.
                            • boydmaine
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 18

                                All this talk about the Shoals Runner reminds me of a somewhat similar boat, my Ninigret. You may recall that about a year ago I was wondering  what kind of power to use and decided to get a 30hp 4 cycle Honda short shaft. My apologies for not getting back to this group since launching the boat last summer.

                                I have found Ninigret (my "Annie B") to be a wonderful boat. Atkin called her a bass boat with good reason, I think, because of how easily she cuts through waves and yet is a stable, easily-driven boat. With the 30hp Honda she tops out at 18mph as advertised with one person aboard. Each additional person will reduce the speed noticeably, but with 4 adults aboard she still runs flat, albeit at about 13mph. Ninigret's draught is about 12".

                                I'll send another picture of Annie B in the water so you can see how much freeboard she has, which means she's a dry and comfortable boat.

                                I want to add that I took the boat to the WoodenBoat show at Mystic, CT last summer and showed her in the "I Built It Myself" section. There was a LOT of interest in her, mostly from more sedate sorts who were presumable more interested in the overall ride than in speed. That's what I'm interested in, too. Ninigret fills the bill so well.

                                Bill Boyd

                                PS  As a reminder: the bare hull was built in the Maine Maritime Museum's Boatshop by volunteers (of which I was one) and then brought to my garage where I finished it off.

                              • boydmaine
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 18
                                • 1 Attachment
                                • 1.1 MB
                                The Annie B
                              • calfee20
                                Message 16 of 18 , Jan 22
                                  I recognize something in that photo.  I'm about 15 minutes from you.  It is nice to know such a great boat is in the area.
                                • boydmaine
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Jan 23
                                    Sometime after May 1 let me know if you'd like to talk Ninigret.