1941 31' Atkins Gaff Rigged Cutter - PACIFIC INTEGRITY

  • pacificintegrity
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2008
      Good day,

      My name is Blaine Bey (living in Victoria, BC). I am the
      current 'trustee' of the 1941 31' Atkin gaff rigged cutter PACIFIC
      INTEGRITY.

      PACIFIC INTEGRITY Background:
      - Design appears to be a modified version of the William Atkins Topsy.
      - Built in Gig Harbour, WA by a father and son (apparently assisted
      by a professional shipwright).
      - Launched: 1941.
      - 2nd Owner: in 1998 purchased by a teacher in Mount Vernon, WA. He
      donated the boat to the Center for Wooden Boats (CWB) in Aug/05.
      - 3rd owner: I acquired the boat from CWB in Feb/06.
      - Hull: planking is approx. 1 1/8" red cedar (has good integrity).
      - Frames: oak (one in engine compartment is cracked).
      - Keel: fir.
      - Ballast: internal (concrete).
      - Engine: 2 cyl 1994 Universal M2-12A (11 HP).
      - Mast: 30' laminated spruce (of which 26' is above the deck).
      - Standing Rigging: approx. 5/16" stainless steel.
      - Running Rigging: 3/8" polyester (3-strand).

      (Note: refer to the Photos section for some pictures of PACIFIC
      INTEGRITY I have uploaded for viewing).

      How I Acquired PACIFIC INTEGRITY:
      I purchased the plans to build a 22' Paul Gardside cutter and was
      looking for an inboard engine in 2005 when I came across PACIFIC
      INTEGRITY (named TURLOUGH O'CAROLAN at that time) at the Center for
      Wooden Boats (Seattle, WA). Purchased her in Feb/06 and with the
      able assistance of Jamie Orr motored her back to Victoria (as
      reported in this message forum back in 2006).

      My Background:
      - Farming background (farm in Sakatchewan, Canada).
      - Self-taught and some mentoring in woodworking.
      - Sailing Mentors: Jamie Orr (owner/skipper: WAYWARD LASS), Chris
      Bennett (owner/skipper: LADYBUG).
      - First time sailing: 2000.
      - Prior building experience: 18' Guillemot Great Awk kayak (cedar
      strip).

      Maritime volunteer activities:
      - IT Chair, 2005 Victoria Tall Ships festival.
      - Board of trustees (2006-2008), Maritime Museum of BC.
      - Member, Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 20, 2008
        Nice looking boat in a nice part of the world despite present weather.

        Jon

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "pacificintegrity"