George

  • steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2004
      I've admired the skiff 'Ration' for a number of years and might be
      coming up on a period of time when I can do something about it. I'd
      like to build with plywood and do away with the dory style bottom,
      and as many of the seven full frames as possible. I'm assuming
      they're there because the bottom is planked fore and aft rather than
      cross planked?

      When I ordered my catalog, I included a note telling Mrs. Atkin of
      two skiffs built by friends of mine, and asked about 'George', a
      skiff shown in a 1995ish WB with John at the oars. I noticed that
      the general dimensions were the same and wondered if it was the same
      boat. Her reply was that 'George' was 'Ration' redrawn with more
      flare and increased sheer forward (?). My question (following my
      longwindedness) is, are plans for 'George' available?

      Steve Delnick, a hobbyist in a town full of professionals
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2004
        Ration has a lightweight, longitudinally planked bottom with batten seams,
        hence the multitude of full frames (a dory bottom would be thick, with the
        boat built on top of it). Don't tell Mrs. Atkin (she hates it when people
        change the boats <g>), but you could build Ration cross-planked style, using
        the scantlings for Scandal as a start, but using plywood for the bottom,
        with the sheets laid crosswise. The study plans for Scandal have all the
        construction information. The sides could be done with glued plywood strakes
        too, and you could probably cut down on the number of side frames if you did
        that, but I wouldn't.

        Plans for George are available, and I'll be adding the boat to the catalog
        as soon as I get some drawings from Mrs. Atkin. She didn't say, but the
        plans should cost $45. Study plans for Scandal are $10.

        On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:28:56 -0000, Steve D wrote:
        > I've admired the skiff 'Ration' for a number of years and might be
        > coming up on a period of time when I can do something about it. I'd
        > like to build with plywood and do away with the dory style bottom,
        > and as many of the seven full frames as possible. I'm assuming
        > they're there because the bottom is planked fore and aft rather than
        > cross planked?
        >
        > When I ordered my catalog, I included a note telling Mrs. Atkin of
        > two skiffs built by friends of mine, and asked about 'George', a
        > skiff shown in a 1995ish WB with John at the oars. I noticed that
        > the general dimensions were the same and wondered if it was the same
        > boat. Her reply was that 'George' was 'Ration' redrawn with more
        > flare and increased sheer forward (?). My question (following my
        > longwindedness) is, are plans for 'George' available?

        One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by
        Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2004
          The plans for John Atkin's last boat, the rowing skiff George, plan #878,
          are now listed in the online catalog:

          http://www.boat-links.com/images/George.jpg

          George was donated to Mystic Seaport after John's death, where she's now
          part of the public livery fleet.

          I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a great deal.
          If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and use oar or paddle...
          they would get infinitely more benefit than by having their work done for
          them by gasoline. <Theodore Roosevelt>