Re: What about Sabot?

  • michaelye4
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
      >Dave, just want to suggest that you look at the Princess Betty plans at the Atkin plans
      site. I could be wrong, but she appears to be nothing more or less than an open version of
      Sabot. I only know this because I also saw the Sabot in the book and found it worthy of
      mind sailing!

      Mike

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, davy riggs <titanicslim@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, John. I saw that boat, as I'm sure is the
      > general case, in Henderson's book, 53 Boats You Can
      > Build. I figured the plans were available at the time
      > of that book's publication. The '70s maybe?
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
      >
      > > It's quite possible that the plans for Sabot were
      > > lost in the 1938
      > > hurricane. The Atkin plans from before the hurricane
      > > that have survived
      > > were the ones that weren't at William's office and
      > > home, like the plans
      > > drawn for MoToR BoatinG. Katydid (Katydidn't is her
      > > tender) _is_ in the
      > > current catalog:
      > >
      > > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html
      > >
      > > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:35:14 -0700, Dave wrote:
      > >
      > > > This is a design I always liked, but now I can't
      > > even find it on the
      > > > Atkin site. Anybody know if Mrs. A. still has
      > > those plans?
      > > > Katydidn't is the same deal. These two both have
      > > the flush deck or
      > > > "turtle" deck. I wonder whether neither of them
      > > were good enough
      > > > sellers or were thought to be somehow flawed or
      > > unsafe. Anyone able
      > > > to clarify?
      > >
      > > --
      > > John <jkohnen@...>
      > > The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may
      > > be the
      > > hijacking of morality by religion. <Arthur C.
      > > Clarke>
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
      > > mopery. Please be polite.
      > >
      > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
      > > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
      > > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
      > > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
      > > boat.
      > >
      > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's brother. -
      Artemus Ward

    • titanicslim
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
        Mike

        I'm right with you there. You could use that nicely radiused cockpit
        coaming as the basis for the house sides, a la Wenda &c. Keep the
        accommodations Spartan and maybe even a fabric top/hardtop option for
        the house. Unless built too heavy, this design should have all the
        qualities of her peers by Alden, Herreshoff and others. I think it
        has possibilities...