Eric (the elder?)

  • roninpnw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2004
      I haven't been back here for a while since I posted regarding tenders
      back in May. Thanks for the feedback; I'm open to more! That
      project got pushed back for a nice reason: I'm building a
      lapstrake "Baby Tender" for my brother's upcoming baby. I figured
      (in addition to a nice gift) that this would be a nice 'test model'
      before I tackle a fullsize, functional boat. I'm enjoying the
      project and it's coming along nicely, but it's eating up my weekends,
      so I'll need to devote the rest of the summer to maintenance on
      the 'important' boat, the one we actually live on! I'll tackle the
      tender come fall and winter. I haven't bought any plans for it yet,
      so the more advice the merrier!

      As far as the Eric itself, thanks for the interest! I just posted a
      few photos on this group site, in the folder "Eric Ketch." We
      haven't had her all too long, only about four months. "Ronin" was
      built in Nagoya, Japan, in 1966, with two sisterships (a broker re-
      creating the original trio of Faith, Hope, and Charity, the first
      buildings of the Eric ketch. She's mohagany on oak, spruce spars,
      lots of bronze... stout, solid, and sexy. We brought her up from
      Santa Cruz last March. With one owner for the past 30 years, I've a
      lot to live up to, and I'm keeping busy but I couldn't be happier!

      She's in Seattle now, at Shilshole. We've debated going to the Lake
      Union or P.T. wooden boat festivals, but I think will wait until
      we've had a chance to get a few projects done on her. It's nice to
      have some fellow Atkin fans around, I'm always game for swapping
      thoughts on these beautiful vessels!

      Best,
      Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2004
        That's a beautiful boat Scott! You could go anywhere in the world in her.

        What design are you using for your "baby tender"? The designer of my sailing
        skiff, Warren Jordan, also sells plans for baby tenders.

        On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:56:00 -0000, Scott wrote:
        > I haven't been back here for a while since I posted regarding tenders
        > back in May. Thanks for the feedback; I'm open to more! That
        > project got pushed back for a nice reason: I'm building a
        > lapstrake "Baby Tender" for my brother's upcoming baby.
        > As far as the Eric itself, thanks for the interest! I just posted a
        > few photos on this group site, in the folder "Eric Ketch." We
        > haven't had her all too long, only about four months. "Ronin" was
        > built in Nagoya, Japan, in 1966, with two sisterships (a broker re-
        > creating the original trio of Faith, Hope, and Charity, the first
        > buildings of the Eric ketch. She's mohagany on oak, spruce spars,
        > lots of bronze... stout, solid, and sexy. We brought her up from
        > Santa Cruz last March. With one owner for the past 30 years, I've a
        > lot to live up to, and I'm keeping busy but I couldn't be happier!

        Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
      • roninpnw
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2004
          John,

          Yes, I'm building the Jordan "Baby Tender" (as in #1 in lapstrake, as
          opposed to #2). At the slow rate of progress, half of me wishes I
          were building a real-life boat, but it's a good amount of practice as
          well. At present I've got three strakes fastened, and the deadline
          is August 1! (shh... it's a surprise)

          I assume you've got "footlose"? What do you think of her?

          I could go anywhere in Ronin, but I could never get ashore until I
          have a tender!!!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2004
            One of our local messabouters built a Jordan baby tender a while back, it
            turned out real nice:

            Unfortunately, you've got to join the group to see the pictures, but you can
            quit right afterwards, if you don't find our doings interesting...

            My Footloose suits me very well at this stage of my life. She's stable,
            comfortable, shallow draft, easy to rig and launch, good looking and good
            sailing (except in light airs, and of course she doesn't keep up with the
            high-strung modern boats to windward). Being a fat flat-bottomed skiff, she
            can be uncomfortable in a chop, especially motorboat wakes when the breeze
            is light. A week ago on the Columbia near Vancouver I got caught in some
            _vicious_ motorboat wakes that actually gave me a scare! There are some real
            pigs of motorboats out there, aren't there? Too bad everybody doesn't drive
            an Atkin boat! <g> The tugs and their tows and the ships weren't bad, it was
            the motorboats that made the steep, short wakes. :o( But in general the
            Footloose is pretty seaworthy for a skiff. Warren Jordan designed the boat
            for the lakes and bays at the Oregon coast, where it's usually windy, and it
            takes a fair amount of breeze before she feels overpressed.

            Handy Andy, or if you think you've got the space Vintage, are the tenders
            that would look best with your Eric. You could build the canvas-covered
            Handy Andy lapstrake like Vintage, or do Vintage canvas-covered, if you felt
            like it, using the building instructions for one for the other...

            On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:25:21 -0000, Scott wrote:
            > John,
            >
            > Yes, I'm building the Jordan "Baby Tender" (as in #1 in lapstrake, as
            > opposed to #2). At the slow rate of progress, half of me wishes I
            > were building a real-life boat, but it's a good amount of practice as
            > well. At present I've got three strakes fastened, and the deadline
            > is August 1! (shh... it's a surprise)
            >
            > I assume you've got "footlose"? What do you think of her?
            >
            > I could go anywhere in Ronin, but I could never get ashore until I
            > have a tender!!!

            One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by
            Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>
          • roninpnw
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
              John,

              Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
              shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
              if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
              to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
              be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
              wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
              nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
              trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
              One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
              done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
              fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
              canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
              blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
                I don't think you'd have to move Handy Andy's mast to fit a spritsail. Where
                would you move it to anyway? It's already right up in the eyes of the boat.
                What you might have to do is reduce the rake of the mast, maybe even raking
                it forward a tad. You want the center of effort of the spritsail to be close
                to where the CE of the jib-headed sail was. Figuring that out isn't
                difficult, the CE of the jib-headed sail is shown on the Handy Andy plans,
                and Jim Michalak tells how to figure the CE of the spritsail (and much else
                of use to balancing the rig of a small, shallow boat) in a recent
                newsletter:

                http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

                The old canoe nuts foam at the mouth when they hear of somebody
                fiberglassing an old wood and canvas canoe (and I don't blame them!), but it
                might not be a bad idea for a new Handy Andy. You wouldn't be desecrating
                the work of a classic craftsman, after all. The thin, soft cedar planks
                under the 'glass probably wouldn't move enough to cause any harm, which is
                the usual problem with fiberglassing planked boats. BTW, when done properly,
                a canvas-covered boat or canoe doesn't show any canvas texture, the weave is
                supposed to be all full of filler. The finish should be smooth as a baby's
                bottom. <g>

                The planking of a canvas-covered boat doesn't need to fit tightly, and you
                don't need to taper and shape the planks, making the construction a bit
                easier for a tyro. Nowadays, somebody could strip-plank Handy Andy, glass
                her inside and out, and get away with no (or few) frames like a stripper
                canoe. Or cold-mold her. But don't let Mrs. Atkin know I'm talking about
                things like that. She hates it when people depart from the plans! <g> If I
                was going to build Handy Andy I'd do it lapstrake, with plywood planks glued
                at the laps, using the Vintage plans for a guide. For landing on rocky
                beaches I'd put hardwood strips along the edges of the lower laps. The
                planks can also be individually fiberglassed before installation.

                On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:55:22 -0000, Scott wrote:
                > Those are very nice little boats. I especially love the sweeping
                > shear on Handy Andy, it'd look great bobbing behind Ronin (I wonder
                > if she'd need to have the mast moved to fit a spritsail... I'd like
                > to store shorter spars). One of my main concerns in any tender would
                > be that it's beachable. And I don't mean velvety sand, I mean
                > wherever I may end up (in Puget Sound for now, which is varied and
                > nasty enough). I fear canvas would take a licking... I have a bit of
                > trepidation changing building plans, since I'm rather new at this.
                > One thought I had, simply with a flat-bottom boat, which I've seen
                > done quite regularly, is to encase the floor and chines in
                > fiberglass. Now that I think about it, that would be feasible with a
                > canvas boat, but would lose that canvas texture up close. And it's
                > blasphemous, I know, but what am I to do?

                I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it.
                <Abraham Lincoln>
              • roninpnw
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2004
                  I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
                  for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
                  the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
                  over here!

                  http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
                  ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132

                  Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

                  -Scott

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
                    The baby tender is beautiful Scott! If you can stuff like that you won't
                    have any trouble building a Handy Andy or Vintage. <g>

                    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:22:20 -0000, Scott wrote:
                    > I've been away a little while... mostly covered in sawdust or varnish
                    > for the past couple of months. Anyhow, I finished up the 'project of
                    > the moment' and thought I'd let ya'll know since it was discussed
                    > over here!
                    >
                    > http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?
                    > ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010132
                    >
                    > Now I can start the winter project... Ronin's actual tender!

                    Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
                    bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>