Re: [AtkinBoats] Planking a Sanderling

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008
      Sanderling is carvel planked , 1/2" cedar.

      On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:08 -0800, Dave wrote:

      > Is the Sanderling dinghy intended to be planked clinker or carvel?
      > I've got that MB book but it's not accessible right now. I seem to
      > recall some pretty light scantlings but which method was called for?
      > I need it to be light, both for agile sailing and easy handling ashore.

      I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
      couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
    • davy riggs
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008
        Thanks John!

        Happens I found the box containing my MoTor BoaTinG
        books this afternoon. I've been making up a lumber
        order and now I notice something which seems odd to
        me.

        The cap on the centerboard case is eight inches wide
        but it inclines in height about eight inches toward
        the rear over its four foot length. So, if you sat
        there and tried to row you would fall over backward.
        That and the lack of oarlocks on the plan seems to
        indicate that it is not intended for rowing.

        Is there any good reason to outfit the boat so as to
        prohibit rowing? Boats with motors have to be
        licensed.

        And I'm going to plank it lapstrake.

        Dave

        --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

        > Sanderling is carvel planked , 1/2" cedar.
        >
        > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:08 -0800, Dave wrote:

        > > Is the Sanderling dinghy intended to be planked
        > clinker or carvel?
        > > I've got that MB book but it's not accessible
        > right now. I seem to
        > > recall some pretty light scantlings but which
        > method was called for?
        > > I need it to be light, both for agile sailing and
        > easy handling ashore.

        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > I have never seen a situation so dismal that a
        > policeman
        > couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
        > mopery. Please be polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
        > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
        > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
        > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
        > boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much. - Yogi Berra