Planking a Sanderling

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
      Got a question for the Congregation-

      Is the Sanderling dinghy intended to be planked clinker or carvel?
      I've got that MB book but it's not accessible right now. I seem to
      recall some pretty light scantlings but which method was called for?
      I need it to be light, both for agile sailing and easy handling ashore.

      Has anybody ever built/used one of these? Thanks!

      Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008
        Sanderling is carvel planked , 1/2" cedar.

        On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:08 -0800, Dave wrote:

        > Is the Sanderling dinghy intended to be planked clinker or carvel?
        > I've got that MB book but it's not accessible right now. I seem to
        > recall some pretty light scantlings but which method was called for?
        > I need it to be light, both for agile sailing and easy handling ashore.

        I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
        couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
      • davy riggs
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008
          Thanks John!

          Happens I found the box containing my MoTor BoaTinG
          books this afternoon. I've been making up a lumber
          order and now I notice something which seems odd to
          me.

          The cap on the centerboard case is eight inches wide
          but it inclines in height about eight inches toward
          the rear over its four foot length. So, if you sat
          there and tried to row you would fall over backward.
          That and the lack of oarlocks on the plan seems to
          indicate that it is not intended for rowing.

          Is there any good reason to outfit the boat so as to
          prohibit rowing? Boats with motors have to be
          licensed.

          And I'm going to plank it lapstrake.

          Dave

          --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

          > Sanderling is carvel planked , 1/2" cedar.
          >
          > On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:08 -0800, Dave wrote:

          > > Is the Sanderling dinghy intended to be planked
          > clinker or carvel?
          > > I've got that MB book but it's not accessible
          > right now. I seem to
          > > recall some pretty light scantlings but which
          > method was called for?
          > > I need it to be light, both for agile sailing and
          > easy handling ashore.

          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > I have never seen a situation so dismal that a
          > policeman
          > couldn't make it worse. <Brendan Behan>
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
          > mopery. Please be polite.
          >
          > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
          > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
          > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
          > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
          > boat.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much. - Yogi Berra