Help me with some history on my boat!

  • pcgaetani
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
      I am the proud owner of a boat which I believe is designed along the
      same lines of the "Eric." I have been trying to get more information
      on this boat for the past 5 years and have hit some brick walls.
      Hopefully someone here might have a little tidbit or even be able to
      point me in some sort of direction. I guess you can call this a shot
      in the dark.

      The story I have been told and other pieces of information I have
      gathered is that she was built in Nakskov, Denmark in 1926 by a
      Richard Rassmussen at the Nakskov Wooden Ship Yard. She is 32 feet
      long, has a 9.5 foot beam, and 5.5 foot draft. Like "Eric" she was
      originally rigged as a gaff rigged ketch. Having been worked on
      extensively by a Danish shipwright, it is clear she was overly built
      and to classic high end Danish standards with the best quality iron
      spikes and rivets. Her lines however are almost identical to the Eric
      and I am curious which boat came first given the age of my boat. Did
      William Atkin ever make any tips to Denmark before drawing the designs
      for "Eric?" Did he consult any particular Danes before completing his
      lines?

      I was hoping someone might have some documents/information or just
      know some history pertaining to yachts built to "Eric's" design in
      Denmark during the early 1920's.

      Any information, contacts, old documents, etc you might have would be
      a tremendous help for me. Thanks! (I also would be happy to email
      pictures if people are really interested)
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
        GO to this link

        http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/index.html

        You will see that the Eric is in two books with copyrights of 1941 and
        1955. This doesn't mean it couldn't have been designed earlier.

        I had volume 40 a couple of weeks ago on loan from a distant library.
        Too bad the timing was off I might have been able to tell you more.

        .......................Tom C
      • Aquiles Rösner
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
          "Eric" 32' is a nice boat. I am building now the "Ingrid", a little
          bigger, then Eric, 37', but very similar lines. A remarcable boock
          about the double-ender is "Colin Archer and the seaworthy double-ender"
          from John Leather. He wrote that William Nutting visited Scandinavia in
          1915 and saw pointed-stern sailing craft, including Colin Archer
          designs. With his friend Arthur Hildebrand they study the lines of a 47'
          auxiliary lifeboat an make a copy reduced to 32 '. Nutting and
          Hildebrand aproached William Atkin in 1924 and that seems to be the
          birth of "Eric" with refined lines.
          If you want, I can make some reserches in Denmark.
          Greetings
          Aquiles Rösner
          Germany

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2008
            Aquiles,

            I actually love the book you recommend and have owned it for many
            years.

            Any contacts you might have in Denmark would be a tremendous help for
            me! I appreciate and would be excited to look further into the boats
            history in Denmark. Please send me your email address and I will
            forward some more information (including pictures).

            Thanks!
            paul
            pgaetani@...

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Aquiles R�sner
            <aquiles.roesner@...> wrote:

            > "Eric" 32' is a nice boat. I am building now the "Ingrid", a little
            > bigger, then Eric, 37', but very similar lines. A remarcable boock
            > about the double-ender is "Colin Archer and the seaworthy double-ender"
            > from John Leather. He wrote that William Nutting visited Scandinavia in
            > 1915 and saw pointed-stern sailing craft, including Colin Archer
            > designs. With his friend Arthur Hildebrand they study the lines of a 47'
            > auxiliary lifeboat an make a copy reduced to 32 '. Nutting and
            > Hildebrand aproached William Atkin in 1924 and that seems to be the
            > birth of "Eric" with refined lines.
            > If you want, I can make some reserches in Denmark.
            > Greetings
            > Aquiles R�sner
            > Germany
            >

            > Am Donnerstag, den 13.11.2008, 22:12 +0000 schrieb pcgaetani:
            > > I am the proud owner of a boat which I believe is designed along the
            > > same lines of the "Eric." I have been trying to get more information
            > > on this boat for the past 5 years and have hit some brick walls.
            > > Hopefully someone here might have a little tidbit or even be able to
            > > point me in some sort of direction. I guess you can call this a shot
            > > in the dark.
            > >
            > > The story I have been told and other pieces of information I have
            > > gathered is that she was built in Nakskov, Denmark in 1926 by a
            > > Richard Rassmussen at the Nakskov Wooden Ship Yard. She is 32 feet
            > > long, has a 9.5 foot beam, and 5.5 foot draft. Like "Eric" she was
            > > originally rigged as a gaff rigged ketch. Having been worked on
            > > extensively by a Danish shipwright, it is clear she was overly built
            > > and to classic high end Danish standards with the best quality iron
            > > spikes and rivets. Her lines however are almost identical to the Eric
            > > and I am curious which boat came first given the age of my boat. Did
            > > William Atkin ever make any tips to Denmark before drawing the designs
            > > for "Eric?" Did he consult any particular Danes before completing his
            > > lines?
            > >
            > > I was hoping someone might have some documents/information or just
            > > know some history pertaining to yachts built to "Eric's" design in
            > > Denmark during the early 1920's.
            > >
            > > Any information, contacts, old documents, etc you might have would be
            > > a tremendous help for me. Thanks! (I also would be happy to email
            > > pictures if people are really interested)

          • Felix Graham-Jones
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
              Perhaps the best source for an account of William Atkin's inspiration
              for Eric is to be found in his book "Of Yachts And Men".
              Chapters 7 & 8 describe the origins of the idea of a double ender with
              lines derived from a Colin Archer redningskoite as found in E. Keble
              Chatterton's "Fore and Aft Craft". William Nutting, editor of Motor
              Boat magazine, and his friend Arthur Hildebrand started the project
              and made the first model. William Atkin then developed the plans and
              Richard Chute of Long Island built the first three of the design,
              named Faith, Hope and Charity. Faith was commisioned by Henry Bixby, a
              member of the Cruising Club of America.
              Atkin reported that 175 sets of the plans had been sold within three
              years of their appearance in Motor Boat...."and many more have since
              been sold".
              Norway, more than Denmark, appears to be the place where this idea has
              its roots, but like all great American mongrels, it draws strengths
              from many parts and emerges with its own distinctive character.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Aquiles Rösner

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
                Although Eric was designed in the early 1920s she didn't appear in MoToR
                BoatinG until 1938. The big hurricane of that year destroyed Wm. Atkin's
                home, and he and the family had to swim for their lives! William had a
                contract to supply a design article every month for MoToR BoatinG, but
                with the hurricane and all he couldn't come up with a new design. So, he
                "dusted off" the Eric plans, which fortunately weren't kept at his house,
                and wrote an article to go with them. I think he did miss one month in the
                magazine anyway. IIRC (I've got a cat on my lap so I can't go to the
                bookshelf and check), the half model of Eric carved in the '20s floated
                away from the wreckage of the Atkin home and was returned to Wm. An
                inspiration, perhaps, for him to publish Eric as his first post-hurricane
                design article.

                On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:29:01 -0800, Felix G-J wrote:

                > Perhaps the best source for an account of William Atkin's inspiration
                > for Eric is to be found in his book "Of Yachts And Men".
                > Chapters 7 & 8 describe the origins of the idea of a double ender with
                > lines derived from a Colin Archer redningskoite as found in E. Keble
                > Chatterton's "Fore and Aft Craft". William Nutting, editor of Motor
                > Boat magazine, and his friend Arthur Hildebrand started the project
                > and made the first model. William Atkin then developed the plans and
                > Richard Chute of Long Island built the first three of the design,
                > named Faith, Hope and Charity. Faith was commisioned by Henry Bixby, a
                > member of the Cruising Club of America.
                > Atkin reported that 175 sets of the plans had been sold within three
                > years of their appearance in Motor Boat...."and many more have since
                > been sold".

                The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to
                moralists-- that is why they invented Hell. <Bertrand Russell>