Re:Woodenboat design challange

  • Jamie Orr
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
      That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
      William Garden's Tlingit.

      Jamie Orr

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>

      > > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
      good to
      > > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
      > > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
      > > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
      > knots.
      > >
      > > ...............................Tom C
      >
      > I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
      years,
      > just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
      all I
      > see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
      not
      > enough, wish it were.
      >
      > The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
      boat
      > with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
      > definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
      >
      > JJ in TX

    • Clifford Benshoof
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
        That long awaited electrical breakthrough we're all waiting for, in my
        opion, is in battery technology. Barring that, a really small nuclear power
        plant.
        Cliff

        > That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
        > William Garden's Tlingit.
        >
        > Jamie Orr
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>
        > wrote:

        >> > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
        > good to
        >> > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
        >> > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
        >> > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
        >> knots.
        >> >
        >> > ...............................Tom C
        >>
        >> I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
        > years,
        >> just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
        > all I
        >> see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
        > not
        >> enough, wish it were.
        >>
        >> The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
        > boat
        >> with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
        >> definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
        >>
        >> JJ in TX
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
          It's not so much a technology breakthrough that is required as a price
          breakthrough!

          Lithium-Ion batteries are already pretty good and there are many more exotic
          combinations coming along (Silver/Air etc), but until they can be made for
          the price of the old lead acid accumulator, they are not viable.

          Same with solar cells for that matter, although they are really inefficient
          you could live with that, if they weren't so expensive !

          Alan