Re:Woodenboat design challange

  • JJ Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008

      > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
      > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
      > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
      > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
      knots.

      > ...............................Tom C

      I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several years,
      just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But all I
      see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is not
      enough, wish it were.

      The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement boat
      with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
      definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?

      JJ in TX
    • Jamie Orr
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
        That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
        William Garden's Tlingit.

        Jamie Orr

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>

        > > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
        good to
        > > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
        > > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
        > > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
        > knots.
        > >
        > > ...............................Tom C
        >
        > I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
        years,
        > just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
        all I
        > see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
        not
        > enough, wish it were.
        >
        > The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
        boat
        > with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
        > definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
        >
        > JJ in TX

      • Clifford Benshoof
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
          That long awaited electrical breakthrough we're all waiting for, in my
          opion, is in battery technology. Barring that, a really small nuclear power
          plant.
          Cliff

          > That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
          > William Garden's Tlingit.
          >
          > Jamie Orr
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>
          > wrote:

          >> > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
          > good to
          >> > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
          >> > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
          >> > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
          >> knots.
          >> >
          >> > ...............................Tom C
          >>
          >> I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
          > years,
          >> just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
          > all I
          >> see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
          > not
          >> enough, wish it were.
          >>
          >> The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
          > boat
          >> with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
          >> definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
          >>
          >> JJ in TX
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

          > polite.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Alan Boman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
            It's not so much a technology breakthrough that is required as a price
            breakthrough!

            Lithium-Ion batteries are already pretty good and there are many more exotic
            combinations coming along (Silver/Air etc), but until they can be made for
            the price of the old lead acid accumulator, they are not viable.

            Same with solar cells for that matter, although they are really inefficient
            you could live with that, if they weren't so expensive !

            Alan