Re:Woodenboat design challange

  • calfee20
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "F. Neil Simms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

      > I had the same thought when I read about this in WB. This wheel's
      > already been invented ;).
      >
      > Still, a good thing for them to pursue. Hopefully the days of the gas
      > guzzling speed-at-all cost boats are numbered... (though you'd never
      > know it from reading Soundings)
      >
      > I for one regret getting cajoled by my wife into buying a plastic 20
      > foot CC runabout (150hp Yami) a few years back, that while it's not the
      > worst in efficiency at 5-6 mpg @28 mph cruise, it still irks me burning
      > even that much fuel while tooling around (40 years of sailing warps a
      > guy, I concede). At this point I wish I'd sunk the money that went into
      > it into a Shoals Runner, or maybe even a Happy Clam, and had something
      > that would run a bit slower but get two or three times the mileage.
      >
      > I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to get at least what an SUV
      > gets in mpg out of our small boats, if we'd just slow down a bit...
      >
      > Neil S.

      The advertising drives everything. All the magazines on cars boats or
      bikes is all about speed or power. I drive a civic hybrid and there
      are not any tips in mags about them. I am sure that if I could put a
      larger plug in power pac and change the software that I would be able
      to double my mileage in short hauls. Nobody seems to want to promote
      that though.

      There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
      see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
      long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
      small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10 knots.

      ...............................Tom C
    • JJ Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008

        > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
        > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
        > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
        > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
        knots.

        > ...............................Tom C

        I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several years,
        just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But all I
        see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is not
        enough, wish it were.

        The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement boat
        with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
        definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?

        JJ in TX
      • Jamie Orr
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
          That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
          William Garden's Tlingit.

          Jamie Orr

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>

          > > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
          good to
          > > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
          > > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
          > > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
          > knots.
          > >
          > > ...............................Tom C
          >
          > I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
          years,
          > just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
          all I
          > see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
          not
          > enough, wish it were.
          >
          > The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
          boat
          > with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
          > definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
          >
          > JJ in TX

        • Clifford Benshoof
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
            That long awaited electrical breakthrough we're all waiting for, in my
            opion, is in battery technology. Barring that, a really small nuclear power
            plant.
            Cliff

            > That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
            > William Garden's Tlingit.
            >
            > Jamie Orr
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>
            > wrote:

            >> > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
            > good to
            >> > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
            >> > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
            >> > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
            >> knots.
            >> >
            >> > ...............................Tom C
            >>
            >> I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
            > years,
            >> just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
            > all I
            >> see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
            > not
            >> enough, wish it were.
            >>
            >> The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
            > boat
            >> with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
            >> definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
            >>
            >> JJ in TX
            >>

            > ------------------------------------

            > polite.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Alan Boman
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
              It's not so much a technology breakthrough that is required as a price
              breakthrough!

              Lithium-Ion batteries are already pretty good and there are many more exotic
              combinations coming along (Silver/Air etc), but until they can be made for
              the price of the old lead acid accumulator, they are not viable.

              Same with solar cells for that matter, although they are really inefficient
              you could live with that, if they weren't so expensive !

              Alan