Re:Woodenboat design challange

  • F. Neil Simms
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
      I had the same thought when I read about this in WB. This wheel's
      already been invented ;).

      Still, a good thing for them to pursue. Hopefully the days of the gas
      guzzling speed-at-all cost boats are numbered... (though you'd never
      know it from reading Soundings)

      I for one regret getting cajoled by my wife into buying a plastic 20
      foot CC runabout (150hp Yami) a few years back, that while it's not the
      worst in efficiency at 5-6 mpg @28 mph cruise, it still irks me burning
      even that much fuel while tooling around (40 years of sailing warps a
      guy, I concede). At this point I wish I'd sunk the money that went into
      it into a Shoals Runner, or maybe even a Happy Clam, and had something
      that would run a bit slower but get two or three times the mileage.

      I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to get at least what an SUV
      gets in mpg out of our small boats, if we'd just slow down a bit...

      Neil S.
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "F. Neil Simms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

        > I had the same thought when I read about this in WB. This wheel's
        > already been invented ;).
        >
        > Still, a good thing for them to pursue. Hopefully the days of the gas
        > guzzling speed-at-all cost boats are numbered... (though you'd never
        > know it from reading Soundings)
        >
        > I for one regret getting cajoled by my wife into buying a plastic 20
        > foot CC runabout (150hp Yami) a few years back, that while it's not the
        > worst in efficiency at 5-6 mpg @28 mph cruise, it still irks me burning
        > even that much fuel while tooling around (40 years of sailing warps a
        > guy, I concede). At this point I wish I'd sunk the money that went into
        > it into a Shoals Runner, or maybe even a Happy Clam, and had something
        > that would run a bit slower but get two or three times the mileage.
        >
        > I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to get at least what an SUV
        > gets in mpg out of our small boats, if we'd just slow down a bit...
        >
        > Neil S.

        The advertising drives everything. All the magazines on cars boats or
        bikes is all about speed or power. I drive a civic hybrid and there
        are not any tips in mags about them. I am sure that if I could put a
        larger plug in power pac and change the software that I would be able
        to double my mileage in short hauls. Nobody seems to want to promote
        that though.

        There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
        see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
        long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
        small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10 knots.

        ...............................Tom C
      • JJ Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008

          > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
          > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
          > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
          > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
          knots.

          > ...............................Tom C

          I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several years,
          just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But all I
          see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is not
          enough, wish it were.

          The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement boat
          with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
          definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?

          JJ in TX
        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
            That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
            William Garden's Tlingit.

            Jamie Orr

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>

            > > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
            good to
            > > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
            > > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
            > > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
            > knots.
            > >
            > > ...............................Tom C
            >
            > I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
            years,
            > just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
            all I
            > see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
            not
            > enough, wish it were.
            >
            > The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
            boat
            > with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
            > definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
            >
            > JJ in TX

          • Clifford Benshoof
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
              That long awaited electrical breakthrough we're all waiting for, in my
              opion, is in battery technology. Barring that, a really small nuclear power
              plant.
              Cliff

              > That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
              > William Garden's Tlingit.
              >
              > Jamie Orr
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>
              > wrote:

              >> > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
              > good to
              >> > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
              >> > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
              >> > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
              >> knots.
              >> >
              >> > ...............................Tom C
              >>
              >> I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
              > years,
              >> just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
              > all I
              >> see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
              > not
              >> enough, wish it were.
              >>
              >> The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
              > boat
              >> with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
              >> definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
              >>
              >> JJ in TX
              >>

              > ------------------------------------

              > polite.

              > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Alan Boman
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
                It's not so much a technology breakthrough that is required as a price
                breakthrough!

                Lithium-Ion batteries are already pretty good and there are many more exotic
                combinations coming along (Silver/Air etc), but until they can be made for
                the price of the old lead acid accumulator, they are not viable.

                Same with solar cells for that matter, although they are really inefficient
                you could live with that, if they weren't so expensive !

                Alan