Woodenboat design challange

  • calfee20
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
      Has anyone seen this in woodenboat magazine? Here is the link.

      http://www.woodenboat.com/wbmag/designchallenge.php

      It seems to me some of Atkins tunnel hull designs should fit right
      in here. You could scale down the Rescue Minor 10% to fit the size
      restriction and 10% should not effect the design any.

      Wes White could put his father's sport boat in or maybe even Rescue
      Minor. Too bad White's Rescue Minor is a foot and a half too long and
      the sport boat half a foot too short.

      ............................Tom C
    • F. Neil Simms
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
        I had the same thought when I read about this in WB. This wheel's
        already been invented ;).

        Still, a good thing for them to pursue. Hopefully the days of the gas
        guzzling speed-at-all cost boats are numbered... (though you'd never
        know it from reading Soundings)

        I for one regret getting cajoled by my wife into buying a plastic 20
        foot CC runabout (150hp Yami) a few years back, that while it's not the
        worst in efficiency at 5-6 mpg @28 mph cruise, it still irks me burning
        even that much fuel while tooling around (40 years of sailing warps a
        guy, I concede). At this point I wish I'd sunk the money that went into
        it into a Shoals Runner, or maybe even a Happy Clam, and had something
        that would run a bit slower but get two or three times the mileage.

        I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to get at least what an SUV
        gets in mpg out of our small boats, if we'd just slow down a bit...

        Neil S.
      • calfee20
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "F. Neil Simms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

          > I had the same thought when I read about this in WB. This wheel's
          > already been invented ;).
          >
          > Still, a good thing for them to pursue. Hopefully the days of the gas
          > guzzling speed-at-all cost boats are numbered... (though you'd never
          > know it from reading Soundings)
          >
          > I for one regret getting cajoled by my wife into buying a plastic 20
          > foot CC runabout (150hp Yami) a few years back, that while it's not the
          > worst in efficiency at 5-6 mpg @28 mph cruise, it still irks me burning
          > even that much fuel while tooling around (40 years of sailing warps a
          > guy, I concede). At this point I wish I'd sunk the money that went into
          > it into a Shoals Runner, or maybe even a Happy Clam, and had something
          > that would run a bit slower but get two or three times the mileage.
          >
          > I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to get at least what an SUV
          > gets in mpg out of our small boats, if we'd just slow down a bit...
          >
          > Neil S.

          The advertising drives everything. All the magazines on cars boats or
          bikes is all about speed or power. I drive a civic hybrid and there
          are not any tips in mags about them. I am sure that if I could put a
          larger plug in power pac and change the software that I would be able
          to double my mileage in short hauls. Nobody seems to want to promote
          that though.

          There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
          see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
          long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
          small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10 knots.

          ...............................Tom C
        • JJ Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008

            > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's good to
            > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat a
            > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
            > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
            knots.

            > ...............................Tom C

            I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several years,
            just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But all I
            see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is not
            enough, wish it were.

            The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement boat
            with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
            definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?

            JJ in TX
          • Jamie Orr
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
              That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
              William Garden's Tlingit.

              Jamie Orr

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>

              > > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
              good to
              > > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
              > > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
              > > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
              > knots.
              > >
              > > ...............................Tom C
              >
              > I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
              years,
              > just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
              all I
              > see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
              not
              > enough, wish it were.
              >
              > The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
              boat
              > with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
              > definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
              >
              > JJ in TX

            • Clifford Benshoof
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
                That long awaited electrical breakthrough we're all waiting for, in my
                opion, is in battery technology. Barring that, a really small nuclear power
                plant.
                Cliff

                > That long diesel powered boat rings a bell, it might have been
                > William Garden's Tlingit.
                >
                > Jamie Orr
                >
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@...>
                > wrote:

                >> > There was an electric launch in a recent wooden boat mag. It's
                > good to
                >> > see someone is thinking. I also recall an article in wooden boat
                >> > long time back where someone took a long displacement hull with a
                >> > small diesel and was using less than half a gallon per hour at 10
                >> knots.
                >> >
                >> > ...............................Tom C
                >>
                >> I have been watching the advances in electric boats for several
                > years,
                >> just waiting for the quantum leep everyone keeps promissing. But
                > all I
                >> see are the first steps of an infant. For my lifestyle this just is
                > not
                >> enough, wish it were.
                >>
                >> The Wooden Boat Article you mention about the long displacement
                > boat
                >> with the small diesel that does 10 knots on 1/2 galon per hour
                >> definitely got my interest. Do You recall when it was published?
                >>
                >> JJ in TX
                >>

                > ------------------------------------

                > polite.

                > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Alan Boman
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
                  It's not so much a technology breakthrough that is required as a price
                  breakthrough!

                  Lithium-Ion batteries are already pretty good and there are many more exotic
                  combinations coming along (Silver/Air etc), but until they can be made for
                  the price of the old lead acid accumulator, they are not viable.

                  Same with solar cells for that matter, although they are really inefficient
                  you could live with that, if they weren't so expensive !

                  Alan