new (old) book of plans?

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
      There is a MoToR BoaTinG book from 1925 containing Atkin plans for
      sale at ABE that doesn't seem to be mentioned on your weblist, John.
      It's called:

      The Dingy Book A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined
      Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction.

      Might not be in the Ideal Series, of course. Sounds interesting.

      Alan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
        That book was reissued by the Atkins as The Small Boat Book (I think because
        somebody else had written another "Dinghy Book" in the meantime) in 1984,
        and reprinted in 1989. The boats in the book are:

        Rinky-Dink
        Handy-Andy
        Carryme
        Sally-Ann
        Takapart
        Anabelle
        Nymph
        Dancer
        Scandal
        Pixie

        Its a collection of building articles from MoToR BoatinG. I suppose I should
        add it to the index, even though it's not an "Ideal" book. A few years ago I
        bought through ABE or on ebay what was advertised something like "MoToR
        BoatinG magazine boating series volume #1" thinking it was Ideal series #1.
        When I got the book I discovered that there was a MoToR BoatinG "Practical"
        series before there was an "Ideal" series! It's an interesting book about
        old-time motorboating, but with only one or two crude plans. Buyer beware, I
        guess. <g>

        On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:32:01 -0000, Alan T wrote:
        > There is a MoToR BoaTinG book from 1925 containing Atkin plans for
        > sale at ABE that doesn't seem to be mentioned on your weblist, John.
        > It's called:
        >
        > The Dingy Book A Compilation of Small Row Boats and Outboard Engined
        > Designs Arranged Particularly for Amateur Construction.
        >
        > Might not be in the Ideal Series, of course. Sounds interesting.

        A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
        <Lord Peter Wimsey>