Motor Boating's Ideal Series vol 47

  • calfee20
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2008
      Someone wanted some photocopies from this book but it was an old post.
      If you read this let me know.

      That post made me look up the book on Amazon and there was a copy on
      Cape Cod. So I drove over and bought it. It has 4 or 5 pages on the
      Shoals Runner, the Everhope, and the Spermaceti.

      The library in Fairhaven obtained a copy of Robb's article from Wooden
      Boat #189 on the Rescue Minor, no charge. I didn't know that kind of
      service was available. Anyone with the least bit of curiosity about
      Robb's boat should read this article. There is one photo of Robb and
      the partly built boat where he has the bottom hull,pirogue, done and
      then frames of bent copper tubing around it so he could get the lines
      of what he wanted. Amazing!

      From that photo and pictures from vol 47 I think he took the bottom
      hull from the RM and parts of the top from Everhope. It looks like he
      tilted the transom of the Everhope foward and tweaked it to get his
      barrel stern. When I look at the front of the boat I see a similarity
      to the front of his Sport Boat.

      One last thing for now. I will quote from vol 47 on the Shoals runner.

      "The motor specified in the plans is a Universal Atomic Four, 22 hp
      @3000 rpm. Propeller should be the three-bladed type, 9" diameter by 8
      inch pitch." This is a smaller prop than RM and at a higher rpm. This
      should be great because those Kubota engines we were talking about
      were rated at 2800 - 3000 rpm for the specified hp.