Re: Rescue Minor Transmission

  • calfee20
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > I agree Mike, and I am very interested in using the drive
      > system Tom C. just described in my Tolman Seabright skiff.
      >
      > My boat's a lot heavier than Robb White's boat of course, so
      > I want an engine that's bigger than 20 HP, but if they are
      > available up to 35 HP I guess that's no problem.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com

      You made me check Kubota's web site. Their B7800 is a 4 cyl with
      30 gross hp, whatever that means because the PTO hp is 22. What's the
      difference? I don't know.

      I just popped over to Kubota's industrial engine site and they have
      any horsepower you could want but I don't know if that bell housing
      would bolt on. Oh yeah gross hp is Intermittant just read it.

      Just another thought, these engines are used in all kinds of custom
      equipment and sometimes they run a driveshaft with U joints off the
      front pulley.

      .............................Tom C.
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008

        > You made me check Kubota's web site. Their B7800 is a 4 cyl with
        > 30 gross hp, whatever that means because the PTO hp is 22. What's the
        > difference? I don't know.

        Gross HP is at the flywheel with no attachments.
        PTO (power take off) HP is after it goes through a gear train to reduce
        it to 540 rpm. Gross HP is rated- PTO is actual and can be observed on
        a dyno. For most applications go with PTO. (30 years in the tractor
        business)